Back to reality with a bang

chew824

Hello everyone,

I feel like I need to vent my experience of 'getting' diabetes with some people who might understand a little bit... Sorry

I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with type 2. As with most people I suspect it hits pretty hard and fairly well took over my life. I was 32 with a young family, overweight and it scared the bejesus out of me. My response was to lose 4 1/2 stone, exercise 5 times a week and eat really sensibly. The result was my hba1c dropped to 42 which I was delighted with. Now comes the stupid part.

I changed jobs and things got a bit different. My control was good and I was desperate to be 'normal' again. I didn't want to be defined by my diabetes. So I started going back to my old way of eating. I've now put 2 stone back on and my last hba1c was 57 and had been steadily rising before that. Gutted.

So now I'm at a place where I don't want to be back where I was, risking my health and facing a life where my family are affected by it. I want to look good again (I loved being slimmer) and where I'm not dreading my hba1c result. I've found getting motivated so hard recently even though I have some really strong reasons for doing so.

So here's the thing. Today I've started to put things into practice and I'm feeling determined not to keep spiralling back to weight gain and high results. I know some people would kill to get a result as low as 57 but I also know it's damagingly body.

Is there anyone else who's struggled for motivation and found ways to cope?

Peace to all

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You did so well. What a shame you fell off the wagon. However, here you are, in the right place to help you get your motivation back. I haven't lost my motivation yet, having only been diagnosed in January. I just hope I can keep it up. Good luck.

chew824

Thanks Jack that's very interesting reading. I was raised in a very "fat scared" way and I've always tried to avoid it. Clearly hasn't helped me and this seems like a really interesting option. I'll give it a go!

Mushroom

You can't do 'normal' - 'normal' is too carby and big portions that are pushed on us in restaurants and ready meals. My friends who are slim don't eat starters, mains AND desserts.
Don't think about 'losing weight' as such. It's a lot of pressure. Start low carbing to get the BG figures down, then do smaller portion sizes and the weight should come off.
Best wishes.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November and, like Bluetit, I'm still motivated ... By fear. I hope I don't fall off the wagon and I'm so glad you came here because, as well as helping yourself, you're reminding me would could happen and so strengthening my resolve. Thank you and good luck. You can do it!! :)

Mushroom

Thanks mushroom, sorry to say I'm a bit of a carb ***** and I know I need to change my way I thinking completely. Appreciate your support.

Carbs? Been there, done that. You can definitely do without them. Being well and diabetes symptoms free is far better. I loved bread, pasta, rice - eat loads. I now LCHF and don't miss them at all. No cravings. It is not even difficult to stick to.
A diagnosis of diabetes really is it - end of the line. Wake-up call. Carrying on as 'normal' just don't work no more!
I would definitely recommend testing your BG 2 hours after a meal. It easy to ignore rising BGs when you can't see the results. Great to see when the figures stay low. Real incentive to keep on track. All the very best.