Back to testing with strange results....

adm

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a few years. As background I was diagnosed T2 in 2010 with an HbA1C of 13.8. I took this seriously and by low carb diet and exercise got it down to mid 5's for a very stable period from 2011 through 2014.

Last year, my doctor gave me the "you are no longer a diabetic" BS speed, which I didn't believe for a second. However, I did stop testing, thinking that I had it under control. I pretty much eat a low carb diet all the time anyway, however for the last 6 months I have been way too lax, so I thought I'd get back onto the regime starting at the New Year.

So I got my tester out again, and most mornings are fine - typically from 5.3 to 6.7, with a couple of blips into low 7s.

However, I am seeing some weird results in the middle of the day. For example, 2 days ago my waking BG was 6.2, however before lunch it measured 8.4. I had eaten nothing between waking and lunch and had only drunk green tea - so absolutely no carb intake, yet BG increased.

I have had a fews like this where BG is rising during the day despite absolutely no carb intake.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this could be happening? I don't get it myself and am thinking maybe my meter (Contour USB) is faulty. Or maybe I am in an adjustment period going back to strict low carb. Anyway....all thoughts or ideas appreciated!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your Liver probably has stores of Glucose that it is releasing during the day whilst you are not eating. When you go Low Carb over time your Liver will store less, and thus release less.

Reactions: 2 people

adm

Thanks. I'll keep monitoring over the next few weeks and see if it settles down. I have also been on steroids for the last 10 days for something completely unrelated, so I wonder if that could have an impact as well.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Thanks. I'll keep monitoring over the next few weeks and see if it settles down. I have also been on steroids for the last 10 days for something completely unrelated, so I wonder if that could have an impact as well.
Yes, it can. Some people develop type 2 due to steroids.

adm

Yes, it can. Some people develop type 2 due to steroids.

Well, I just read up on this and it seems exactly what my problem might be. I have been on Prednisolone for the last 10 days with 4 more to go, and it appears that if you take a morning dose (which i have been doing), then BS levels will rise throughout the day and then taper off in the evening going back to normal(ish) over night.

This is exactly what I have been seeing! Luckily, I only have 2 more days to go on it and have been on a decreasing dosage pattern for the last week.

Fingers crossed that all should be back to normal a few days after I finish the course.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well, I just read up on this and it seems exactly what my problem might be. I have been on Prednisolone for the last 10 days with 4 more to go, and it appears that if you take a morning dose (which i have been doing), then BS levels will rise throughout the day and then taper off in the evening going back to normal(ish) over night.

This is exactly what I have been seeing! Luckily, I only have 2 more days to go on it and have been on a decreasing dosage pattern for the last week.

Fingers crossed that all should be back to normal a few days after I finish the course.
Good luck!