1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Back-up insulin

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Ruth0212, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think what I'm more concerned over is the administering of small amounts from a syringe. With a pen you click the units so it's easy to know that it's 2 for example. Is a syringe that accurate?

2. Julie1471

Julie1471 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Riri,, any syringe won't click as they don't have a mechanism, to make it click. And IHS what is useless? At least carrying a back up device is better than nothing. Sometimes carrying pens is difficult so carrying a syringe which the user is comfortable with is better than carrying nothing??

3. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

I think Julie, youve misread my msgs. Everyone using a pump should definately carry some form of backup just in case something goes wrong. I use a pen while others use a disposable syringe. It doesnt matter what is used as long as insulin isnt wasted

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Riri

Julie - I understood that the syringe had no mechanism that why I asked specifically about how accurate a syringe was. No worries I'll ask my DSN to show me next time I see her.

5. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

The 30u syringes are tiny and have the 1u markings on them spaced out a bit more so using guesswork, its poss to draw up half a unit if need be

• Like Like x 2
  6. Riri

Thanks IHS. Will go and look for some today because I can see them being quite handy.

7. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the convenience of using a pen as I turn to it wherever I may be. On Sat eve, I was at a large dinner event where all the meals were cordon bleu....laden with carb so had to use guesswork to work out the carb. When bg levels started to go up to 17mmol, that was it for me.... out comes my pen and quickly do a jab in my tummy sitting down at the dinner table as I didnt want to take a chance on the pump and have levels go up even higher. If I was using a syringe and vial, I would have definately needed to get up and go to the Ladies as I wouldnt have felt comfortable facing the look of concern from the people siting at the table.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Riri

Yeah - like the pens as back up too. Think the syringe might be a real fall back option in my handbag if I'd forgotten to take my pens on an away-day or something, but will still keep a supply of pens as DSN has instructed me too!!

9. Jkm2010

Jkm2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I travel a lot, so each pen last 4 weeks out of the fridge, that's why they only last 6 months before I need a new box of profiled pens.

10. jodysd6

jodysd6 · Well-Known Member

I keep my open vial of apidra plus a couple of syringes in my bag, then have a vial and spare supplies at work, with 30u syringes I can do accurate enough doses for short term emergencies. For long lasting I didn't keep anything for years then had a run of pump issues and went to out of hours gp and got a box of lantus pens and pen needles. If I am away more than a night I'll take a lantus pen and a couple of needles with me.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook