Back-up insulin

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I think what I'm more concerned over is the administering of small amounts from a syringe. With a pen you click the units so it's easy to know that it's 2 for example. Is a syringe that accurate?

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Riri,, any syringe won't click as they don't have a mechanism, to make it click. And IHS what is useless? At least carrying a back up device is better than nothing. Sometimes carrying pens is difficult so carrying a syringe which the user is comfortable with is better than carrying nothing??

iHs

I think Julie, youve misread my msgs. Everyone using a pump should definately carry some form of backup just in case something goes wrong. I use a pen while others use a disposable syringe. It doesnt matter what is used as long as insulin isnt wasted

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Julie - I understood that the syringe had no mechanism that why I asked specifically about how accurate a syringe was. No worries I'll ask my DSN to show me next time I see her.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks IHS. Will go and look for some today because I can see them being quite handy.

iHs

Personally, I like the convenience of using a pen as I turn to it wherever I may be. On Sat eve, I was at a large dinner event where all the meals were cordon bleu....laden with carb so had to use guesswork to work out the carb. When bg levels started to go up to 17mmol, that was it for me.... out comes my pen and quickly do a jab in my tummy sitting down at the dinner table as I didnt want to take a chance on the pump and have levels go up even higher. If I was using a syringe and vial, I would have definately needed to get up and go to the Ladies as I wouldnt have felt comfortable facing the look of concern from the people siting at the table.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yeah - like the pens as back up too. Think the syringe might be a real fall back option in my handbag if I'd forgotten to take my pens on an away-day or something, but will still keep a supply of pens as DSN has instructed me too!!

jodysd6

I keep my open vial of apidra plus a couple of syringes in my bag, then have a vial and spare supplies at work, with 30u syringes I can do accurate enough doses for short term emergencies. For long lasting I didn't keep anything for years then had a run of pump issues and went to out of hours gp and got a box of lantus pens and pen needles. If I am away more than a night I'll take a lantus pen and a couple of needles with me.