Type 1 Background insulin

Nadia19

Hi all I dropped my background insulin today by 2 units ! Just was curious as my sugar seems to be a bit all over the place atm . I’ve ran quite high today being sitting about 12. Would 2 units less of background cause this to happen?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

With the weather getting cooler for me (I’m in the UK.) I would be a little less insulin sensitive.. (which includes my bolus.)
1 unit on my basal either way for me can make a difference which would either get me sitting near the 12s or keep topping up on carbs for drifting in the mid 4s if the dose is 1u too much.

I tend to titrate the dose by 1u? Sick days or dropping by in excessive heat that sort of thing..?

What basal are you using?

Reactions: Nadia19

Nadia19

Hi,

With the weather getting cooler for me (I’m in the UK.) I would be a little less insulin sensitive.. (which includes my bolus.)
1 unit on my basal either way for me can make a difference which would either get me sitting near the 12s or keep topping up on carbs for drifting in the mid 4s if the dose is 1u too much.

I tend to titrate the dose by 1u? Sick days or dropping by in excessive heat that sort of thing..?

What basal are you using?

I use levimir basal. Sugars have been a bit high today and was a bit resistant at dinner tonight. However I think it was down to the back ground.

Nadia19

I use levimir basal. Sugars have been a bit high today and was a bit resistant at dinner tonight. However I think it was down to the back ground.

Yeah I took 8 units today. I usually take 10 but I started to take 9 which made all the difference. I feel 1unit I can see a lot of difference. 10 units I’m in the 6/7 before meals. 8 units I was 9.3 before dinner today. And 10/11 for the 3 hours after lunch with some activity (house cleaning and hoovering my go to when I’m high)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I took 8 units today. I usually take 10 but I started to take 9 which made all the difference. I feel 1unit I can see a lot of difference. 10 units I’m in the 6/7 before meals. 8 units I was 9.3 before dinner today. And 10/11 for the 3 hours after lunch with some activity (house cleaning and hoovering my go to when I’m high)
Nothing wrong with a little exercise in the home to temper the BGs..
My mum used to profess it helped her. Just keep fit. Applied “ballet barre” work to anything about the house? (Non diabetic but she did used to be a professional dancer.)
I adopt a similar ethos..? In the house when wet outside. But prefer “hardware” tasks in the garden. (If not at work.) as a man I’m more orientated with DIY? But the place needs a certain cleanliness too..

Do you have a correction dose with the bolus/fast acting insulin.) if you do go high? (Outside of your range.)

Reactions: Nadia19

Nadia19

Nothing wrong with a little exercise in the home to temper the BGs..
My mum used to profess it helped her. Just keep fit. Applied “ballet barre” work to anything about the house? (Non diabetic but she did used to be a professional dancer.)
I adopt a similar ethos..? In the house when wet outside. But prefer “hardware” tasks in the garden. (If not at work.) as a man I’m more orientated with DIY? But the place needs a certain cleanliness too..

Do you have a correction dose with the bolus/fast acting insulin.) if you do go high? (Outside of your range.)

I’ll take that on board :) haha, and yes well I took a corrective tonight actually after dinner now sitting at 8.5 , however with those extra unit or 2 of basal on board. I find I never really have to correct. As it comes down itself . :)