Background Retinopathy- Hba1c 6.3

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been told that I have background retinopathy, but my hba1c is 6.3, and has been low or at a good number for years.
I am really confused as to why I have background retinopathy, which I know isn't worrying yet, as my hba1c is so good.
I have a lot more low blood sugars than high blood sugars (probably too many :/ )
i have also had diabetes for 17 years (i'm 20 years old), so i don't know if it's just a result of having it for so long?
I don't know if I should be worried or if theres anything I can do.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @hollyslot this is so similar to what happened me recently. I've had type 1 for 15 years, well controlled. I received a letter in March to say early changes had been detected in my left eye. I had just had a baby and so was closely monitored throughout pregnancy and as far as I was aware everything was fine so it came as a huge shock and I'm still trying to get my head around it. Anyway, as I understand it it can just be a case of length of time having had diabetes and unfortunately we've been unlucky. All we can do is continue to work hard on our BS as well as BP and cholesterol and try to keep fluctuations to a minimum. Try (easier said than done I know) not to worry and focus on keeping good control and enjoying life!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't know if I should be worried or if theres anything I can do.

Easier said than done but try not to worry @hollyslot

The best thing you can do is keep attending the eye screening appointments so they can monitor the condition, but as well as maintaining your bg levels you should also make sure your bp and cholesterol levels are under control too, if not then discuss things with your gp.

You've likely seen this link before but I'll post it anyway as it contains a wealth of information & advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

Dark Horse

Having a low HbA1c reduces the risk of diabetic retinopathy but doesn't eliminate it completely. Duration of diabetes is a major risk factor and the majority of people with Type 1 have background retinopathy within 20 years of diagnosis. Someone with poor glucose control might have developed it within 5 years.

Although we can't alter the duration of diabetes, there are other risk factors which can be controlled e.g. keeping blood pressure low, having a good lipid profile, not smoking. Have a look at the page noblehead suggests, it is a good quality source of information.

Bear in mind that background retinopathy does not affect your sight and does not need treatment. Although it does tend to progress with time, having good control of glucose, BP and cholesterol will make it likely that any progression would be slow. Many people have background retinopathy for many years without progressing to sight-threatening retinopathy.

The best advice is to make sure you address any modifiable risk factors you may have and to attend screening regularly so that if any sight-threatening changes do occur, you can be referred promptly and offered treatment, if necessary. Treatment is most effective before symptoms develop. Obviously, if you do develop any sight problems, you need to get them checked immediately and not wait for your next screening appointment.

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @hollyslot as Dark Horse said duration of diabetes is a major risk factor :( I've been diabetic for 18 years now and my Hba1c has always been below 7 except during my diagnosis. Despite our efforts, I'm afraid we'll never be able to keep our BG as steady as that of a non-diabetic and Hba1c is only an average value after all! I'm really looking forward to that time when artificial pancreases will be the standard treatment so hopefully no more headaches!
If that helps for now, I suggest that you have a look at the green light mask many people have been talking about also on this forum. I've been using it for quite a while and despite the fact that it's a bit pricey and may not be very comfortable to everybody, it has definitely cleared my mind from that horrible fear of having troubles with my sight in the future!
Just don't let yourself down because of this

Last edited:

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 last September and at my very 1st diabetic retinal screening I was diagnosed with some background retinopathy. I too was worried, especially as I'd just been diagnosed with diabetes and was, and still am diet controlled. My Dr said it was nothing to worry about when I finally spoke to her and it was just my right eye (which is my "weaker" eye - I wear specs).

Anyway, I've had an eye test today due to some issues with my vision. I was worried it was due to my diabetes although my Hba1c at my annual review has just come back as ok at 49. My vision has changed but it's NOT due to any diabetic complications - apparently the changes to my eyes are due to the more birthdays we have! The optician also told me that she couldn't see any issues regarding retinopathy :happy::) so it would appear that background retinopathy can correct and repair itself.

Reactions: gemma_T1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My first 2 tests showed slight damage. My 3rd in july showed it had cleared. It can clear up