Background Retinopathy

lely

Hi All.
Just been told I have background retinopathy. I'm in my 11th year of diabetes (T1).
My latest a1c was 72 in Aug and I intend to have that reduced by Feb, next appointment. I probably have anyway as my bloods have been much better lately after tweeks with basal and bolus rates. Taking an average of 70% of my BG test within range ( for me 6-9.9)
Anyway What I'd like to ask is, of those people that have got/had background retinopathy, with good control, how quickly can it progress. Will I see a deterioration with annual tests now. Or is it possible to halt the progression.

Sent from my E5303 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

hwyl1973

i have that to . i to want an answer to her question
Will I see a deterioration with annual tests now. Or is it possible to halt the progression.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry to hear about your news @lely

Anyway What I'd like to ask is, of those people that have got/had background retinopathy, with good control, how quickly can it progress. Will I see a deterioration with annual tests now. Or is it possible to halt the progression.

You can slow down the progression and some people on the forum have said they've halted the progression altogether, but the best thing you can do is keep your bg, bp and cholesterol levels under control.

Whilst improving your diabetes control it's said to do this gradually as sudden tightening of bg contol can speed up the progression, if in doubt just speak with your Ophthalmologist or diabetes Consultant.

You may/may not of seen this website before, however it's worth posting again as it has a wealth of info and advice on the condition diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

Reactions: lely

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Retinopathy can be halted and reversed with very good blood sugar control. My husband had proliferative retinopathy, went on to a very low carb diet, reduced HbA1c to normal levels and the retinopathy has regressed. While there will always some remaining evidence of past problems, as long as his sugar levels remain normal, it's almost certainly a case of problem solved.
Don't panic, but do keep those sugar levels as low as you can sensibly manage.
Sally

Reactions: lely

lely

Sorry to hear about your news @lely

You can slow down the progression and some people on the forum have said they've halted the progression altogether, but the best thing you can do is keep your bg,bp and cholesterol levels under control.

Whilst improving your diabetes control it's said to do this gradually as sudden tightening of bg contol can speed up the progression, if in doubt just speak with your Ophthalmologist or diabetes Consultant.

You may/may not of seen this website before, however it's worth posting agian as it has a wealth of info and advice on the diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html
Thank you noblehead, will take a look. Are you part of the administration on here? You always seem to have the answers and advice whenever I ask. I think you should change your name to The Oracle.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not now part of the Admin team @lely

I don't have all the answers but do like to offer advice wherever possible (and do have a lot of experience on dealing with diabetic retinopathy), I've been problem free for the last 12 years but know what it's like to be going through what your going through at this present moment in time.

Best wishes and good luck.

Reactions: Juicyj and lely

lely

Retinopathy can be halted and reversed with very good blood sugar control. My husband had proliferative retinopathy, went on to a very low carb diet, reduced HbA1c to normal levels and the retinopathy has regressed. While there will always some remaining evidence of past problems, as long as his sugar levels remain normal, it's almost certainly a case of problem solved.
Don't panic, but do keep those sugar levels as low as you can sensibly manage.
Sally
Well that sounds promising Sally, thanks for the info. It's always nice to know there is hope and something you can do.

D

Deleted Account

The other thing that is worth bearing in mind with retinal scans is the check is made by human eye.
One person may see something they think of as an anomaly but another person would see nothing.
Background retinopathy may be very small ... and does not require any treatment.
Of my last 3 scans, 2 have come back with background retinopathy and the middle one was clear.

But as others have said, the way to minimise further degradation is good BG control.