Bacon

Laconic

Seems to be a favourite on Keto, but which is better smoked or unsmoked and how many rashers a day or week are people eating. I have 3 extra thick rashers with eggs twice a week instead of sausages on the other days.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't think it matters so long as it is bacon. Don't see anything wrong with daily.

M

Member496333

I like bacon lardon egg yolk omelettes. Minimum 100g a shot, with 6 yolks. Cooked in butter.

Otherwise just plain streaky bacon. Although my minimum denomination is measured in packets rather than rashers :hungry:

dipsydo

Personally I do not like smoked but it must be your choice as we are all different. If you are worried about the nitrites in bacon there is naked bacon which is a bit more expensive but avoids the nitrites. It tastes OK as well .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems to be a favourite on Keto, but which is better smoked or unsmoked and how many rashers a day or week are people eating. I have 3 extra thick rashers with eggs twice a week instead of sausages on the other days.
Google Dan Quibell and the Bacon Experiment..

M

Member496333

I learned recently that there are more nitrites in saliva than you could ever ingest from bacon, and more nitrates in a stick of celery. Or perhaps vice versa. If this is even nearly true then it probably means the nitrite/nitrate scares are unfounded. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time that a dietary truth turned out to be hogwash...

Reactions: Serena51
D

Deleted member 308541

I prefer bacon with nitrates than bacon without, it certainly has not effected me in the fifty years I have been eating bacon in Australia.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I haven't had bacon for a long time, but I'm going to pick it up again: fry bacon in the pan, then fry greens or sauerkraut in the bacon grease- that's my plan for low-carb evening meals. I need to lose a lot of weight- I'll let you know if it works!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Bacon!!!!

What else is there to say?

I have a cheese omelette and some bacon on the side everyday. The best part is.... drum roll,....... wait for it...... BACON! :D

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Wrap it around a thick medium rare eye fillet and it's a dream dinner

Reactions: Bluetit1802
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I do like bacon and I prefer unsmoked, but I'm happy to eat smoked too

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I can afford it I switch to nitrate free and eat it more often, otherwise a small pack every 2 or 3 weeks.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer smoked bacon as I like a bit of salt. The only bacon I avoid though is sweet cured stuff as there's a few sneaky added carbs in there, e.g.
Pork Loin (89%), Maple Syrup, Demerara Sugar...:eek: - 2.7g carbs per 100g which is probably OK on moderate low carb but you certainly don't want to be eating added sugar if you limit yourself to <20g carbs a day "keto".