Bad 2 weeks

grandmacarol

Iv had a bad cough and cold and even though Im on a pump just carnt get bloods down have been doin TBR 10% and last week 20% and still not going down have just starter 30% today cold seems to be getting better cough on bad now but the dam bloods are still high. iv changed canulas changed insulin put canulas inplaces I havent befor round in bum right now. But still nothing just hope when I go back to Hospital on Thurtsday they can tell me what todo for the best. Any help from you lot would be appereacheated thanks :(

iHs

Hi

I have found that using a different area to my tummy to insert sets also causes a change in bg levels, so apart from constantly doing corrections, I have found a higher TBR usually saves the day. If this was me I would try doing a 50% increase for 3hrs at a time and keep monitoring my bg levels. If that doesnt work you could try a 60% increase.

Hope your cold is on the way out

iHs

grandmacarol said:
thanks ill wate untill this one is done and try that later if still no improvement thanks :sick:

Dont worry..... you can increase the TBR as much as you want. So keep increasing them and doing corrections as needed and then with any luck the TBR will be ok and you wont have to do anymore corrections. Just keep doing the bg tests and when you start to see that your bg levels start to fall backwards below your targets, you can then reduce the TBR.

iHs

Are you sure that the infusion set is working? Can you give your bolus using an insulin pen? That way, you will know whether you have problems with the set not absorbing insulin all that well.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I had 2 weeks like that because of a stomach infection. It was only a TBR of 180/190% over these days (about 6-7 days in total) that would bring my sugars down below 10. Once I was feeling better and tum was ok the insulin requirement dropped too. As no infection showed up in tests my DSN was getting me to change sites, try a new batch of insulin and new cannulas but in the end, once my stomach had settled, my sugars returned to normal. So I learnt some valuable lessons - not to be afraid of the extra insulin and to test even more regularly. I also think its very important to remember how different we are - just because others blood levels vary little day by day I'm one of these that even the slightest 'impact' on me (physical and/r mental) affects my sugars big time and its never about sites, cannula lengths or pump problems with me. Hope things settle soon.