Type 2 Bad bad bad bad [emoji52]

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Does it matter if you have the odd treat! That’s life, so what.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Does it matter if you have the odd treat! That’s life, so what.

Because I struggle with it being the odd treat!

1 treat becomes weeks of falling off the wagon.

I’d love to get to the stage where I can do that, but at the mo that just isn’t possible!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I struggle with it being the odd treat!

1 treat becomes weeks of falling off the wagon.

I’d love to get to the stage where I can do that, but at the mo that just isn’t possible!

Cana - I know you have struggled with reducing your carbs, and juggling the symptoms that seemed to bring to you. Have you considered using the period of down-time, over this holiday period, to go hard core and try to break the back of it?

I have been using an LC way of eating for over 5 years now, but I have lots, and I mean lots of veggies, which I love. I was recently faced with a 12 hour flight, on an airline we hadn't previously used, and the prospect of their gluten free meal just didn't appeal. I ordered it, but didn't hold out much hope for how it would be. Unfortunately, gluten-free is something I've had to do over the last couple of years.

I decided I'd fast for the flight, which bearing in mind airport time, gate waiting time, immigration and baggage reclaim time, then a 2.5 hour drive the other end meant around a 24 fast. I hadn't really fasted before, aside from the usual upset tums or other times when eating just didn't appeal.

My prep for that fasting was a short period (probably about 5 days) od carnivore eating. Just meat, fat and dairy in drinks. No veggies. It worked a dream. After a day or any hinger pangs disappeared. I wasn't fasting at that time, but I just felt very satisfied. That said, I do enjoy eating meat.

With the journey done and dusted (the meal was "interesting", and easy to leave alone), I could have carried on carnie, but it didn't fit in with the environment where I was, so I reverted to my LC, with fewer veggies than before (largely due to eating out every night for 2 months - literally).

It may not be for you, but it could just break those feelings and urges. Just a suggestion from someone who doesn't like to see you struggle.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - I know you have struggled with reducing your carbs, and juggling the symptoms that seemed to bring to you. Have you considered using the period of down-time, over this holiday period, to go hard core and try to break the back of it?

I have been using an LC way of eating for over 5 years now, but I have lots, and I mean lots of veggies, which I love. I was recently faced with a 12 hour flight, on an airline we hadn't previously used, and the prospect of their gluten free meal just didn't appeal. I ordered it, but didn't hold out much hope for how it would be. Unfortunately, gluten-free is something I've had to do over the last couple of years.

I decided I'd fast for the flight, which bearing in mind airport time, gate waiting time, immigration and baggage reclaim time, then a 2.5 hour drive the other end meant around a 24 fast. I hadn't really fasted before, aside from the usual upset tums or other times when eating just didn't appeal.

My prep for that fasting was a short period (probably about 5 days) od carnivore eating. Just meat, fat and dairy in drinks. No veggies. It worked a dream. After a day or any hinger pangs disappeared. I wasn't fasting at that time, but I just felt very satisfied. That said, I do enjoy eating meat.

With the journey done and dusted (the meal was "interesting", and easy to leave alone), I could have carried on carnie, but it didn't fit in with the environment where I was, so I reverted to my LC, with fewer veggies than before (largely due to eating out every night for 2 months - literally).

It may not be for you, but it could just break those feelings and urges. Just a suggestion from someone who doesn't like to see you struggle.

Do you mean fast for the whole weekend?

I’ve had issues with eating problems in the past so not sure how well I’d do. Not had issues for long time but would be worried about bingeing if I got too hungry etc.

But that might also be an excuse.

My hunger is a lot better, if I don’t eat many carbs.
Also though I know dr and nurse told me to make sure I eat if I take my meds as they physically remove sugar from my body so not sure I could do fasting and take those. It’s forxiga.

I know in the past if I have stopped eating nurse has told me to stop taking them.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re right if you are taking meds that actively lower glucose you must monitor carefully when reducing carbs or fasting and be prepared to lower doses accordingly. And you should be matching medication to food not eating more carbs just to satisfy the drugs. That does mean being fairly consistent with the carbs though. Are you? (With the exception of this blip?).

If you want to fast or make substantial reductions to carbs I’d advise you to chat with your nurse first about maybe stopping them. If you want to reduce carbs more slowly you can monitor closely and reduce doses gradually. Again best done with the nurse for reassurance, especially if she’s on board with low carb and supportive.

It does sound like you’d benefit by reducing them. It would help with the cravings you suffer with, lower your figures and maybe get you off the forxiga thus pretty much eliminating the chance of hypos in the future.

Quite a lot of people find it easier to have very few carbs, (especially the avoiding the bread, pasta, rice and sticking to veg and dairy for carbs) than constantly fighting temptation to have some but not too many. I certainly needed to go cold turkey on anything sweet when I started as that was my temptation more than the ones I listed above. It was about 4 months before I had even a tiny piece of dark chocolate. Now I have much more control and am much easier satisfied with things I never found sweet before.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean fast for the whole weekend?

I’ve had issues with eating problems in the past so not sure how well I’d do. Not had issues for long time but would be worried about bingeing if I got too hungry etc.

But that might also be an excuse.

My hunger is a lot better, if I don’t eat many carbs.
Also though I know dr and nurse told me to make sure I eat if I take my meds as they physically remove sugar from my body so not sure I could do fasting and take those. It’s forxiga.

I know in the past if I have stopped eating nurse has told me to stop taking them.
No, I wasn't meaning to fast the whole weekend, but maye try a few days of extreme low carb/carnivore eating.

As I say, I was astonished how quickly I became incredibly full, and how the full up feeling (no bloating though) lasted.

Do you self test? With that iformation, you could take a view on whether to take your forixa or leave them to one side for the day.

You have to do what you feel is best for you.

Reactions: HSSS

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I do have days, namely weekends when I’m at home that i try to go very very low carb. Only thing I really have is the low carb sachets of hot chocolate, try to eat fewer veg etc and more protein just fir those days.

Don’t really want to mess with meds. My sugars aren’t controlled so don’t want to do anything that scuppers then more. But when I’m home I don’t really worry too much about going lower as well I’m home.

Although it’s a bit moot at this point because I caved in yesterday and bought 5 eggs.

Had a real, F it might as well just eat them and start again next week moment. Then promptly ate 1 1-2 in Lieu if dinner last night.

First egg didn’t do much still at 8 something 3 hours later. Did t dare do second one.

Part of me wants to throw them in bin the other half thinks I’m a idiot.

Might just eat them today and tomorrow then lockmyself indoors, throw away the key and cold turkey till I go back to work Tuesday!!

I agree with the low carb I feel much better. Less bloating and less twinging and just feel amazing.

I do self test so ona weekend that I am removing more carbs I do test. Actually I test more at weekends anyway just to see what things are doing.

My first Easter as a D and I failed before it even got to Easter!!

Oh well, always next year!

DawnOfTheZed

@Cana
Please be kind to yourself? You like chocolate, and this is your first Easter after dx. Chocolate and sugar are moreish, and for some addictive. You've mentioned you've tried going vlc. I've found I do crave carbs when I go v low. How many carbs was the little rolo egg? Prob not that much and OK for a 'treat'? Perhaps you need to have mitigating actions for such meals, eg go for a brisk walk or some other exercise, so the carbs are used up?
Also consider tips for shopping, eg don't go shopping hungry, have a list related to meal plans, wear blinkers near the tills or use the self-serve tills (places where the eggs aren't)?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have days, namely weekends when I’m at home that i try to go very very low carb. Only thing I really have is the low carb sachets of hot chocolate, try to eat fewer veg etc and more protein just fir those days.

Don’t really want to mess with meds. My sugars aren’t controlled so don’t want to do anything that scuppers then more. But when I’m home I don’t really worry too much about going lower as well I’m home.

Although it’s a bit moot at this point because I caved in yesterday and bought 5 eggs.

Had a real, F it might as well just eat them and start again next week moment. Then promptly ate 1 1-2 in Lieu if dinner last night.

First egg didn’t do much still at 8 something 3 hours later. Did t dare do second one.

Part of me wants to throw them in bin the other half thinks I’m a idiot.

Might just eat them today and tomorrow then lockmyself indoors, throw away the key and cold turkey till I go back to work Tuesday!!

I agree with the low carb I feel much better. Less bloating and less twinging and just feel amazing.

I do self test so ona weekend that I am removing more carbs I do test. Actually I test more at weekends anyway just to see what things are doing.

My first Easter as a D and I failed before it even got to Easter!!

Oh well, always next year!

Cana - If you feel you have to have chocolate, then why not try some higher cocoa solids stuff, which tends to be more sparing on the carbs and bloods?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana
Please be kind to yourself? You like chocolate, and this is your first Easter after dx. Chocolate and sugar are moreish, and for some addictive. You've mentioned you've tried going vlc. I've found I do crave carbs when I go v low. How many carbs was the little rolo egg? Prob not that much and OK for a 'treat'? Perhaps you need to have mitigating actions for such meals, eg go for a brisk walk or some other exercise, so the carbs are used up?
Also consider tips for shopping, eg don't go shopping hungry, have a list related to meal plans, wear blinkers near the tills or use the self-serve tills (places where the eggs aren't)?

Shopping isn’t usually a problem. It’s just at the mo that the eggs are everywhere and Easter eggs are my favourite and it’s the habit I guess.

Usually it hasn’t bothered me too much.

I have days where o wasn’t something sweet or carby but not chocolatey

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - If you feel you have to have chocolate, then why not try some higher cocoa solids stuff, which tends to be more sparing on the carbs and bloods?

Other than it being Easter I haven’t missed it that much. I have dark chocolate at home and barely eat it, it’s bothered me that little.

It’s just Easter!!

Just need to get through these eggs and get through Easter lol!!

I always struggle st Easter because Easter eggs are my favourite unfortunately!!

Sweets, now sweets are a different story.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There will always be temptations/ reasons to have a "treat" not saying it's easy but really try and change your mindset for the sake of your health. Ok the eggs cost you money and you don't want to waste them - but isn't your health worth more?

Give the eggs away, donate them to a food bank - there will be kids who got no eggs this Easter and make yourself a lower/low carb treat, Everybody has a trigger food, mine is crisps and pastry so I don't eat them ever, I have pork scratchings or make some cheese crisps from grilled cheese. There is a way round everything you've just got to find it

Reactions: HSSS