Bad hospital experience.

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2 diagnosed about twelve months ago.

Felt unwell.
Had eaten two weetabix in the morning and had a ham salad in the evening plus cups of tea throughout the day.
Blood reading was 27 at nine pm and I went to lie down.
Ten pm the levels had gone off the meter and it just said high.
Wife phones doc.
Doc sends paramedics.
Taken to hospital put on saline drip.
Left on trolley in cubicle for twelve hours. No drinking water.
All night I kept being told I was going to go on a ward and be kept in.
Come 12 noon I'm sent home in agony having spent twelve hours on the trolley with chronic arthritis of the spine.
Within a week a community nurse will be visiting me.
That's a month ago no visit.
My surgery have taught me nothing about dealing with diabetes diet etc.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That's a terrible story. You don't say whether you are on tablets or insulin? First, you must keep your carb intake low to help keep the blood sugar low. If you aren't on medication then you must visit the GP for an HBa1C test if you haven't had one for year. Also discuss medication with the GP

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I think I would be on my GP's doorstep tomorrow morning politely requesting an appointment.

Again, without knowing what meds you are on it is a little tricky to be certain apart from there is normally a direct relationship between what you eat and your blood sugar level.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on Metformin three a day.
I'm also on Ramipril for blood pressure Gabapentin and Tramadol for arthritic pain occasional Valium prescribed seven a month on average often less never more. Paracetamol too.
I've never had a sweet tooth so sugary drinks foods have never been on my list.

That day my sugar went ballistic but I have no idea why. Like I said I had two weetabix in the morning and a ham salad around six in the evening and by nine was feeling very unwell.
My sugar levels tend to yo yo between 4 and 14.

I also have diverticula (sp) disease which my father had and it didn't bother him at all but I think it is responsible for making me feel quite grim at times.

The hospital trolley episode is the stuff I see in the papers and in the past it hasn't registered much ... it will from now on!

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I think you need to go and see your GP as your issues are more than I have experience of. However, I would request referral to a dietician to give you some bespoke guidance that is compatible with your issues.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol