Baked Tofu Bites

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
They sound fantastic. I must give them a go. @WuTwo can I ask what tofu you usually use?
I can get hold of the Cauldron one most easily, but I find I have to press it forever to get it to anything like a firm texture.

Any recommendations for good brands to look for?

I'm afraid I make my own, and press it with a really heavy chopping board for well over an hour when I've first made it. Comes out as extra firm. It is shockingly easy.

I use this recipe:

https://www.messyvegancook.com/homemade-tofu-a-tutorial/

I use Alpro unsweetened wholebean milk and come in at the bit headed "Keep it Warm Buddy". And when she says warm, she means pretty close to boiling but not boiling or bubbling. I had no idea it was so amazingly easy to make! Heat the milk, whack in the nigari in a very little hot water, cover pot, take off the heat and walk away. Come back, strain tofu, pop into press and add weights. Walk away for 75 minutes. COme back and put tofu into storage container in fridge. And that's it!

I use the nigari I get from Ebay. I tried some from the Tofu Box on Amazon but for three attempts it didn't work at all and then I bought the new stuff. Distinct difference in smell - as in the stuff from the Tofu Box didn't have one....

Reactions: Serena51

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Made this exact recipe with mushrooms today instead of tofu and can recommend! Tasted just as good as I imagined :)

I'll try this! It occurs to me that it's such a gorgeous coating it would work with just about anything.

I am making seitan nuggets and steaks at the weekend. I might make extra nuggets and coat a few. They'd be good. I usually add a marinade to seitan, but a coating would work equally as well.

Reactions: Antje77

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never considered making my own tofu. But I think I’ll have a go - thanks for the link.

Reactions: WuTwo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @WuTwo , hope things are somewhat alright with you and your family.
I thought of you this afternoon when I decided to use this recipe for broccoli (to use in a vegetable stew). It tasted wonderful! I baked for about 30 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.

Reactions: Diakat