Ballet

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

My daughter has been diagnosed type 1 for 6months she adores dancing. I signed her up for ballet classes and then though oh no! Her feet! Whether it's true or not, you hear a lot about ballerinas feet being covered in sores etc obviously that isn't great with diabetes. My question here is does anyone do ballet and find everything is okay? I don't want to take her for her to love it and then possibly not bring allowed to go anymore. I'm trying to control her diabetes not let it control her!

Many thanks ☺️

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
If she has good control, any sores etc on her feet will heal as normal. Obviously, it's better if you can avoid the sores altogether but if you keep an extra close eye on her, I don't see it being a problem.
Perfect thank you ☺️

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ballet Ballet Ballet, tutu's, men in tights etc.
Logged on to thread expecting to vote on something, but that would have been a Ballot.
Really must pay more attention. :banghead::banghead::banghead::):):)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

My daughter has been diagnosed type 1 for 6months she adores dancing. I signed her up for ballet classes and then though oh no! Her feet! Whether it's true or not, you hear a lot about ballerinas feet being covered in sores etc obviously that isn't great with diabetes. My question here is does anyone do ballet and find everything is okay? I don't want to take her for her to love it and then possibly not bring allowed to go anymore. I'm trying to control her diabetes not let it control her!

Many thanks ☺️

Hi,

The "point work" is quite stressful on the feet. However (I believe your daughter is very young.) they won't/shouldn't be setting that up for her at that age..

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Let her give it ago, as already said good control is key and keeping a good eye on her feet.

I've been diabetic on insulin for 26 plus yrs and this summer i trod on a nail, prompt treatment kept infection away and healing was quite quick.

Regards

Martin

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let her give it ago, as already said good control is key and keeping a good eye on her feet.

I've been diabetic on insulin for 26 plus yrs and this summer i trod on a nail, prompt treatment kept infection away and healing was quite quick.

Regards

Martin
Lol messing about with a rusty old bayonet as a kid, thinking I was. Errol Flynn. I dropped it point first into my foot. No harm done! Well there was... But no complications with the heal.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

Many thanks ☺️
Hi Sophie,

I have been type 1 since forever and did ballet from the age of 2 - with no problems! As posts earlier on have said, the blisters and sores are not an issue until intensive pointe work starts up. Very important to get her doing everything her friends do, but to keep an eye out on her feet :) I used to play a game with my younger sister every night to check for cuts or sores on our feet after we had done ballet - good fun and meant my mother didn't have to worry too much about it