Balsam pear (bitter melon)?

findo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, this is a very subjective question to ask but here goes? I'm type one and thinking of taking balsam pear supplements but not sure of amount to start with, any suggestions?
My last HB1AC result was 10.4, up from previous (8.6, still not good and looking to improve). Been taking fenugreek seeds (1x teaspoon in morning, 1x teaspoon in evening in tea form, with cinnamon bark, ginger and cardamon pods) for the past three months and noticed a definite improvement, average 5.0/7.0 daily (fingers crossed next HB1AC result is a vast improvement??). Plus using less insulin since taking fenugreek... very subjective and anecdotal evidence but its working for me.
Thanks

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Findo - I was told 3 weeks ago I was Type 2 and then today (after dieting hard) reclassed as pre-diabetic. I was reading your post with interest. What I don't understand is my Hb1Ac was 44 yesterday - so how come as a Type 1 you have 10.4. Is that a US reading or can T1 have really really low figures? or is this just your BG figure of 10.4 ? Have heard of Fenugreek and must look that up :)

findo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi snootybutnice, the 10.4 was my hb1ac converted to BG, I find these numbers easier to work with and yes T1 can attain these levels and better with a lot of hard work.
I've been T1 for 6 years and spent the last two years really tackling this affliction and the results have been pleasing, aiming for a hb1ac of 56/58.
Highly recommended fenugreek as it appears have stabilized BG levels, this along with a new dietary regime. Basically cut out all carbs, bread, pasta, rice and root veg (not totally angelic though ;-)), cut down fruit intake, sounds drastic but it's this or die horrible.

findo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since posting my question I started using balsam pear supplements. I started taking one 450mg pill three times a day with meals and adding a quarter teaspoon of balsam pear powder with my fenugreek seed tea.
Results; was using 16 units of humalog mix 25 in morning, now taking 10 units, with steady BG readings of between 4.7/7.7 during working day. I use levermir and humalog in evening (yes sounds unconventional but this works for me and my doctor agrees and my doctor is T1 too), was taking an average of 4/6 units of humalog and 10 levermir at tea time, this now reduced to 3 and 8 respectively. Evening BG reading levelling out between 5/8 (would generally be 9/12 post meal before supplement use). Before bed I take a further shot of levermir (now 8 units) with little fluctuation in BG readings before bed, during night and waking up time (floating around 5.5/6.2).
Very pleased with these initial results.

McGints11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, this is a very subjective question to ask but here goes? I'm type one and thinking of taking balsam pear supplements but not sure of amount to start with, any suggestions?
My last HB1AC result was 10.4, up from previous (8.6, still not good and looking to improve). Been taking fenugreek seeds (1x teaspoon in morning, 1x teaspoon in evening in tea form, with cinnamon bark, ginger and cardamon pods) for the past three months and noticed a definite improvement, average 5.0/7.0 daily (fingers crossed next HB1AC result is a vast improvement??). Plus using less insulin since taking fenugreek... very subjective and anecdotal evidence but its working for me.
Thanks
Don't take bitter melon in tablet form, get the tea bags from an Asian grocery store. Let the tea steep for about 15mins and have it about 30mins after your meal. That may help your A1c.