SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Evening all,
I volunteered on the Startright research project which is aiming to improve classification and treatment of diabetes in adults. They sent me back some results which I don't understand but which they say are "suggestive" of type 1. I'm on insulin anyway but have had this niggling feeling that some was a bit iffy with my original diagnosis.

Can anyone explain simply what my results mean please?
GAD 144.7 U/ml
IA2 230.3 u/ml
ZNT8 negative

Going to bed now

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your
Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody is very high Positive result is >25.0 U/ml yours is nearly 6x that level. so that tells us your either type 1 or lada

• Protein tyrosine phosphatase islet antigen-2 (IA2) Seropositivity for IA-2 autoantibody (> 0.02 nmol/L) is supportive of:

-A diagnosis of type 1 diabetes

-A high risk for future development of diabetes

-A current or future need for insulin therapy in patients with diabetes
your result is positive unit value is diffrent sorry not over sure

Testing for the presence of ZnT8 antibody is important clinically for 2 reasons. First, ZnT8 antibody testing can help classify the type of diabetes and confirm an autoimmune etiology. When used in conjunction with tests for other autoantibodies (GAD-65, IA-2, and insulin), diagnostic sensitivity for type 1 diabetes is improved. This is because ZnT8 antibody occurs in 3% to 4% of patients with type 1 diabetes who are negative for these other 3 antibodies.2,7,9 Use of the 4 antibodies to diagnose patients results in 93% to 98% sensitivity.2,7,9

basically you were tested for 3 antibodies that are associated with type 1 the second and third are to confirm if your gad was negative. so dont worry its just confirms your type 1

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
third is
Zinc Transporter 8 (ZnT8) Antibody

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
your
Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody is very high Positive result is >25.0 U/ml yours is nearly 6x that level. so that tells us your either type 1 or lada

• Protein tyrosine phosphatase islet antigen-2 (IA2) Seropositivity for IA-2 autoantibody (> 0.02 nmol/L) is supportive of:

-A diagnosis of type 1 diabetes

-A high risk for future development of diabetes

-A current or future need for insulin therapy in patients with diabetes
your result is positive unit value is diffrent sorry not over sure

Testing for the presence of ZnT8 antibody is important clinically for 2 reasons. First, ZnT8 antibody testing can help classify the type of diabetes and confirm an autoimmune etiology. When used in conjunction with tests for other autoantibodies (GAD-65, IA-2, and insulin), diagnostic sensitivity for type 1 diabetes is improved. This is because ZnT8 antibody occurs in 3% to 4% of patients with type 1 diabetes who are negative for these other 3 antibodies.2,7,9 Use of the 4 antibodies to diagnose patients results in 93% to 98% sensitivity.2,7,9

basically you were tested for 3 antibodies that are associated with type 1 the second and third are to confirm if your gad was negative. so dont worry its just confirms your type 1
Wowweez!!! that's a lot of knowledge you've got there, thanks. I'm on insulin but I just thought the word "suggestive" was odd. Surely, you're either T1 or not?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Wowweez!!! that's a lot of knowledge you've got there, thanks. I'm on insulin but I just thought the word "suggestive" was odd. Surely, you're either T1 or not?

I think that is medical speak for "pretty darn certain but I had better leave a bit of wriggle room".

Not sure why the wording is so cautious apart from that the project seems to be about uncertainties in diagnosis.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just google but with two very strong positive you have a type of diabetes resulting from an auto immune condition. cant see there being any doubt

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's already pretty clear, so not sure any clarifying is required. You're GAD positive = you're type 1. You have autoimmune type 1 diabetes, proven by the presence of GAD antibodies and IA-2 antibodies. You're definitely type 1.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can it be that the people from the research project aren't allowed to give you a diagnosis because they are researchers and not medical doctors? That would explain the caution in the wording.