Bananas and Apples

Dave Knight

I am trying to eat more heathily and so have set my sights on 5 fruit & veg a day. I would say my normal average intake is nearer 3. Before I knew I had diabetes one way I would up my intake would be to eat a banana and an apple most days. Over the past few weeks I have had probably half a dozen of each per week.

Today I actually looked at the labels :oops: . Over 30g of sugar between them :shock:

Now relegated to the naughty but nice :?: occasional treat category

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I suppose it all depends on how fruit affects your individual blood levels. Mine seem to be okay eating bananas and oranges. Plus I need the fibre.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Dave,

I've always loved fruit, so never had any issues eating it to be honest, but up until 12 months ago I properly was not eating enough in my daily diet. Last year I set about changing the foods I ate, ditching some, including others and increasing the ones that provided the best health benefits.

I did see a dietician on two occasions to discuss my diet to make sure that I wasn't lacking in any vitamins or minerals in the foods I eat. My dietician suggested that I should increase my intake of fruit and try to eat at least 3 portions a day. As I was already a big vegetable eater, this would be more than enough to reach my 5-a-day. She said that fruit is a excellent source of dietary fibre, it also provides the body with nutrients it needs to help fight infections and repair cell damage in the body. Both fruit, and fruit juice are also a excellent source of antioxidants that help prevent free radicals from attacking the body within. It also goes without saying, that including ample amounts of fruit and veg in everyone's diet will help promote good gut and bowel health, and keep you regular on the loo too! :D

My tip on eating fruit is to include it with your main meals, for example berries on your breakfast cereal, or alternatively eat your fruit straight after your meal, this way I find that it has a lesser impact on bg's, as where I eat fruit between meals it can and does cause spikes.

Regards

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I can manage half an apple and no banana. I do eat mountains of salad leaves though
Hana