Bananas

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I find frozen berries spike me. It could be because as they defrost they go a bit mushy, or at least raspberries do. You would have to test blended fruit as this is akin to fruit juice, much worse than the actual fresh fruit. I find you can always obtain raspberries and strawberries out f season these days. They aren't as nice, but added to cream or full fat plain yogurt are fine.

Hey never thought.It could be that because they are frozen and tart, they may have added sugar to them, not much as they are still tart but enough to sugar spike. Hmm, It is only a few pulses from the machine, not blended as such..Will look at the sugar content of frozen berries, the powers that be may have sneakily added sugar. Can you not eat frozen blackcurrants or blueberries?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey never thought.It could be that because they are frozen and tart, they may have added sugar to them, not much as they are still tart but enough to sugar spike. Hmm, It is only a few pulses from the machine, not blended as such..Will look at the sugar content of frozen berries, the powers that be may have sneakily added sugar. Can you not eat frozen blackcurrants or blueberries?

I've never tried blackcurrants. I'm not keen on them. I avoid blueberries mostly (not always) because they are higher carb than other berries. I doubt very much they add sugar to the frozen ones. Any carbs mushed up are worse than the same food unmushed! (eg a boiled new potato is better than mash)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've never tried blackcurrants. I'm not keen on them. I avoid blueberries mostly (not always) because they are higher carb than other berries. I doubt very much they add sugar to the frozen ones. Any carbs mushed up are worse than the same food unmushed! (eg a boiled new potato is better than mash)

Hmm just looked online it seems that Frozen Raspberries are lower in sugar than fresh. 3.8 grams per 100 gram for the frozen and for the fresh 4.6 grams per 100 gram. Probably because the fresh are more ripe.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm just looked online it seems that Frozen Raspberries are lower in sugar than fresh. 3.8 grams per 100 gram for the frozen and for the fresh 4.6 grams per 100 gram. Probably because the fresh are more ripe.

The difference is insignificant and will vary slightly from variety to variety of raspberry. I wouldn't be worried about 0.8g difference.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness yes have to agree with you there. Best to just keep away from them. I have been eating berries as suggested on this forum. Raspberries, Blackberries, Strawberries and kiwi fruit, passion fruit and Apricots. I read that if we want a banana is to eat it while still a little green, less likely for sugar spike, but you know your body and obviously is not good for all. The thing that I worry about is when autumn comes and the fresh berries are harder to find. I know that we can purchase frozen berries but not so keen on those or tinned. Just had a thought..I know that we are supposed to keep away from smoothies, I have a magic chef blender, and you can put frozen berries in with a little stevia with a fruit yogurt and just pulse, not blend. I wonder if that would be ok to eat?. It is like eating ice cream. I thought that as you pulse the berries it would not affect our sugar levels. Frozen berries are pretty tart. Oh I also add Ice cubes.
I do that with double cream instead of yoghurt the frozen berries cool the cream to make a kind of low carb ice cream. I try to avoid sweeteners so just have the fruit and the cream..my taste buds have changed a great deal over the past 20 months so I don;t crave sweet things so much.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do that with double cream instead of yoghurt the frozen berries cool the cream to make a kind of low carb ice cream. I try to avoid sweeteners so just have the fruit and the cream..my taste buds have changed a great deal over the past 20 months so I don;t crave sweet things so much.

That sounds lovely, ..I may try it with the cream : )