Basal advice

slaterk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all. I'm a type 1 diagnosed a few months ago. I have my basal pretty much sorted out (44 units of lantus per day) now but Yesterday was my birthday and my girlfriend arranged a surprise visit to Thorpe Park (I knew I was going but didn't know my friends and family would be there). All good, had a fantastic day, although rather tiring! It wasn't until I was in bed that I realised I had forgotten to take my basal insulin. This was 11pm and I usually do it at 6pm. Of course I jumped out of bed and took it. My question is, will I be ok just going back to the normal time of 6pm Tonight or will that then give me too much in my system? Any advice thankfully relieved.

Keith.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeah you should be ok to take your usual dose at 6pm tonight. Just be wary that fire a hort period 6 till 11pm you will in effect have a 3 hour overlap in your basal having both running. Simply have a carby snack to prevent a big drop. The other alternative is to have your basal at 10pm tonight then reducing it by 1 hour each day til your at 6pm. This would have a less severe effect.
If 6pm suits you normally I would have it at 6 and either have an extra snack containing carbs or reduce my qa with my evening meal. Hope this helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App