Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, does anyone know if anyone? or anywhere? you can buy? obtain? a basal, carbs eaten,bolus needed conversion chart exist or available? Am absolutely diabolical at calculating math skills n this does worry me n make me panic as its so over my head. [even using a basic calculator am hopeless] Anyone know of anything to help me along? Anna.x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There are some great books to help...carbs and cal book just for an example......but at the end of the day I believe you will still have to add up the carbs you are going to eat to get a total....but, all diabetics that have a modicum of interest in living a a good life-(the majority of us have to do this in one shape or another), and to get our heads round it......easier for some than others.....but it could be that the carbs n cals book (Amazon.co.uk sell it)...with the pictures of portion sizes, plate sizes and calculations would help you.....

M

Member34835

Hi - the Accu chek Aviva Expert meter may help you. l am trying to make my insulin and carbs regime better whilst refusing to give up some of the things which complicate my type 1 diabetes (chocolate nibbling and lots of exercise)....
Its the same kind of meter used with the insulin pump but without the insulin delivery mechanism. It does calculate a bolus dose for you based on carb intake, last dose taken i.e. how much insulin you still have on board, exercise and other factors such as stress and pmt! The main things which I find useful is that it helps me focus on carb counting because if I put a junk reading in then I get a junk piece of dosage advice out. The other clever thing is that I can set different ratios for different times of the day e.g. I am very active in the mornings so my ratio is 0.3/10g but totally slump after 7pm when my ratio is the more standard 1:10g.
To use this meter you would need to know your own individual carb/bolus ratio and how much insulin it takes to lower your blood glucose. When I attended a course similar to DAFNE (all about adjusting your own insulin) I was told that the standard ratios were 1u insulin for every 10g carbohydrate and that 1u insulin usually decreases blood glucose by 3mmol. I was advised to start with this ratio and adjust.
As the other person mentioned the Carbs and Cals book is very useful - they have their own eponymous website and you can also download an app to your i phone (Android version will follow soon apparently).
Hope this makes sense and is useful - good luck

M

Member34835

Just to add to my reply - with the meter you do NOT need great maths but you may need a rep or diabetic nurse or the meter helpline to help you set it up correctly to start with.....