Basal reduction for exercise - what am I doing wrong?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good work there Dave. I'm sure the basal testing will pay dividends further down the line.

I'm also working on retesting basals after a recent insulin sensitivity improvement. I put that entirely down to losing a little weight recently.

Interesting question regarding how often basals should be retested, not sure what the answer is, personally I react if I suspect the basal dose needs to change.

I'm not sure there's a definite answere either. I suspect, same as you, that the answer is very much "it depends".

I think the useful thing here was putting it on the forum as you can be too close to your own situation to clearly see the issue sometimes.

Tranly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diabetes, stress
Pls keep it up Dave! thanks for sharing your experiences in such details I was so inspired. Was feeling like running out of solutions and needed some light and help. From what I learned here I've been sticking back to my exercise schedule and monitor my BG closely, and so far so much better. I'm learning and without a good doctor and dietitians and everything here it's very hard. But so good to learn from you. Thank you so much!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it's not always going quite according to plan.

Three fairly successful runs this week and one complete disaster.

Tuesday run - 8km 2 laps village - pre 6.3, 17g carbs - 4km 5.9 - 8km 5.4. 3 hr TBR x 30% befroe run, pump removed during run
Wednesday run - 8km village different route, 20g carbs before pre 5.0, mid 5.9, post 5.1 - 3 hr TBR x 30% pre, pump removed during
Friday 4.8 pre run - 20g, 5km 4.7, 10km 4.5. 2.5hr TBR x 30% before, pump off during and no cannula as it was due for achange before dinner
Saturday 12km run - TBR 30% 2 hours before and during, bolus before reduced to 30% (0.45U on 35g carbs). 10.3 pre run - 5km 2.7, 17g carbs - 7km 3.2, 17g carbs - 12km 4.7, none. Plus 1 hour 6.4.

The 2.7 was felt even through the running - HR increased for same pace/effort, legs feeling slightly rubbery and a bit light headed. I knew that one was going to be low before I'd tested. Carbs in this case were a chunk of compressed dates, the kind used in coooking, easy to carry and get the BG up fairly quickly.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday were all evening runs, before dinner, so approx 5-6 hours after the last bolus.
Saturday was 2 hours after the last bolus, but looking at that, even the reduced bolus was effectively the same as not reducing basal rates. I think the morning run, post breakfast strategy needs further review. Perhaps go down to 10%TBR and 10% bolus, or go low carb breakfast.

Tonight is intervals on the turbo trainer, tends to be a BG raising session.