Basal test

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed over to Tresiba from Lantus 5 weeks ago and have been struggling a bit with dropping low, especially when out and about during the day. I have quite an active lifestyle so need to work out how to manage this.

Tried a basal test last night - never done one before - so wanted to check what you think.

Had a v low carb meal at 6.30pm which I didn't bolus for as Novorapid acts over a long period of time with me. Results were pre food 5.5, 8.30pm 9.3, 10.10pm 7.2, 4am 5.1 and 6am 5,6

On that basis would you think the current basal dose was OK?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When basal testing shouldn't eat anything, even if low carb as body will convert it to sugar. With that said getting to 9.3 and then coming down to normal levels not using a bolus, would suggest basal too high. If you hadn't eaten based on those figures you'd basal would of caused a hypo.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When would you eat your evening meal? I'd be on the floor without any food in me

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol, have a late lunch min 4 hours before for basal testing. This is so no food and no quick acting in you. That way you know your body is running only on basal. Thats why we do it in time blocks a few days apart, split for morning, afternoon, evening and night. If any food or insulin needed for corrections test is invalid, adjust depending on what happened but, harder on injections. Your basal might be set perfect for day time but wrong for overnight and vice versa. Pumper are able to change individual hours to cope, rather than make corrections with bolus. Have you thought about pumps?

badmedisin

Lantus is supposedly a 24 hour insulin (worked out as about 12 hours for me...) and Tresiba should last about 36 hours.

Did you just do a straight swap? You probably need a lower dose of Tresiba than you had with Lantus.

I was having hypos when I switched but it's a lot better now that I do it at lunchtime rather than in the evening, for whatever reason.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus is supposedly a 24 hour insulin (worked out as about 12 hours for me...) and Tresiba should last about 36 hours.

Did you just do a straight swap? You probably need a lower dose of Tresiba than you had with Lantus.

I was having hypos when I switched but it's a lot better now that I do it at lunchtime rather than in the evening, for whatever reason.
The DN did drop the Tresiba dose, but then I'd been running high so increased it again. I've popped it down another 1/2 unit and we'll see how it goes. I might try and repeat the test I did for Basal testing, but I'd struggle to eat any earlier so maybe it isn't worth it.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, have a late lunch min 4 hours before for basal testing. This is so no food and no quick acting in you. That way you know your body is running only on basal. Thats why we do it in time blocks a few days apart, split for morning, afternoon, evening and night. If any food or insulin needed for corrections test is invalid, adjust depending on what happened but, harder on injections. Your basal might be set perfect for day time but wrong for overnight and vice versa. Pumper are able to change individual hours to cope, rather than make corrections with bolus. Have you thought about pumps?
6.30pm is nearly 4 hours before the 10pm test!