1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Basel dose when sick?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by chrissyrobbo, May 16, 2020.

1. chrissyrobbo

chrissyrobbo Type 1 · Member

I’m just wondering how much to increase my basal rate while I’m ill?

2. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @chrissyrobbo, do you inject your insulin or do you use a pump?
    If you inject I think it might depend on your basal insulin, I can't pretend I know much about it, but I believe different ones take different amounts of time for changes to take affect, so it would also depend on how long you are ill for, whether the changes to your dose would make any difference whilst you are still ill. I must admit I was never told to increase my basal whilst ill when I still used to inject, corrections were made with boluses.
    My pump has a pre-set temporary basal for illness and that's 120% of my usual basal.

3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you gotten instructions for 'sick day rules' from your consultant?
    No one here can tell you how to alter your insulin doses when you're ill.
    If you're ill and can't get your blood glucose down, please call your consultant or 111 if you're in the UK (or your local out of hours medical service if you're not in the UK).

Wish you all the best!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook