Bayer Contour very inaccurate

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had to use this meter for a few years since I am on a Minimed pump - it was the worst, most inaccurate meter i have ever had, giving results like 17, which I was sure I was not, I'd do another test immediately in either the same finger or another and it would be 10. O r even 8(Having washed my hands before the first test.)

I complained several times to them and they always said it can be different in different fingers (my consultant thought his very amusing), or if I used the same finger they'd say it was because it was a few seconds later, if I said it was the same puncture they'd say it was because of clotting agent changing the results. It was quite clear from these ludicrous suggestions that they knew well that the meters were very inaccurate.

I know it wasn't my testing technique, I've had a blood testing machine since 1981. And never had such problems before.

Recently the meter went completely wrong and I was informed that they had a new 'more accurate' meter and sent me one. Lo and behold, it IS accurate, much, much better.

So if you have a Bayour Contour testing machine, get it exchanged for a Bayer Contour 'Next'.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a Contour Next link which I got when they upgraded my Medtronic pump recently. I've found it to be very inconsistent . The advantage is that it does send the result to my meter but since I managed without that facility for the last 7 years it really isn't a big thing. I can't have a different new meter prescribed for me because that's not the way the French system works. You are allowed 1 meter each 4 years
I've gone back to an old One Touch meter and will try to replace that one when I'm the UK

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a Contour Next link which I got when they upgraded my Medtronic pump recently. I've found it to be very inconsistent . The advantage is that it does send the result to my meter but since I managed without that facility for the last 7 years it really isn't a big thing. I can't have a different new meter prescribed for me because that's not the way the French system works. You are allowed 1 meter each 4 years
I've gone back to an old One Touch meter and will try to replace that one when I'm the UK

Yes, it's still inconsistent, but it's much more accurate than the old one. I'm surprised Minimed keep up their association as it certainly affects the accuracy of the calibrations of continuous glucose monitors, which is madness - they can improve the sensors all they want, but you can't rely on them if the meter says different, and you can't rely on the meter if the sensor says different.

Can you phone up for a new meter and get it sent to an English relative who will send it on? I've always found the meter companies are more than happy to send out a free meter as you will be using their strips?