BBC news this morning

livabet1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've read on the BBC on line news this morning that the
NHS England has announced plans to curb the prescription of "low-priority" items like silk garments. I phoned the BBC and NHS media centre but got no information at all! What does everyone think? I wouldnt want my test strips/cartridge pen needles altered to something I don't want. I don't know if this is just a piece of rubbish. Hopefully someone out there can get more info.

There is limited evidence the clothing helps people with eczema and dermatitis enough to justify prescribing it, a consultation document says.
Officials are proposing ending the routine prescription of eight items under plans aimed at saving £68m a year.
Others include an acne medication and diabetes products.
The items, which are deemed to be of relatively low clinical effectiveness or to have cheaper options available for funding, are:
Silk garments - for eczema and dermatitis (low clinical effectiveness)
Aliskiren - used to treat blood pressure (cheaper options available)
Amiodarone - to treat abnormal heart rhythms (low clinical effectiveness)
Bath and shower emollient preparations - to treat eczema and dermatitis (low clinical effectiveness)
Dronedarone - to treat the heart condition atrial fibrillation (low clinical effectiveness)
Minocycline - to treat acne (low clinical effectiveness)
Blood glucose testing strips - for type-2 diabetes (cheaper options available)
Needles for pre-filled and reusable insulin pens - for type-1 and type-2 diabetes (cheaper options available)
Many prescribers will not be surprised by the recommendations and have already started phasing out some of the items.

The health service in England spends more than £1.2m a year on prescriptions for silk garments, examples of which include silk baby bodysuits, infant leggings, children's pyjamas, gloves or tubular sleeves.

In the case of the testing strips and needles, officials are proposing that GPs prescribe the cheaper versions of these products. It said there was a big variation in price, with strips ranging from £5 to £16 and needles costing between £4 and £30.

NHS England has already ordered an end to the routine prescribing of 18 low-value items, including homeopathy treatments and over-the-counter products such as paracetamol and cough medicines.

NHS no to dandruff and diarrhoea treatment
NHS targets suncream prescriptions for cuts
NHS England chief executive Simon Stevens said: "The NHS is one of the most efficient health services in the world but, as part of the long-term plan for the NHS, we're determined to make taxpayers' money go further and drive savings back into front-line care.

"It is essential the NHS should not be paying for anything which has been proven to be ineffective or where there are safer or cheaper alternatives."

The consultation comes ahead of GPs being issued with new guidance next week on gluten-free prescriptions.

While patients can still receive bread and gluten-free baking mixes under NHS prescriptions, they are no longer eligible for other foodstuffs such as pizzas, cakes and biscuits, NHS England said.

Officials added that the NHS began funding gluten-free food products in the late 1960s, when availability was limited, but now a wide variety of foods is available in supermarkets.

The consultation will run for three months from 28 November 2018 until 28 February 2019, after which joint commissioning guidance is expected to be published by NHS England and NHS Clinical Commissioners.

The National Eczema Society said it was "vital for people with eczema to have access to the right emollient products on prescription".

A spokesman added: "We look forward to participating in the consultation."

Are you currently receiving "low-priority" items on the NHS? Tell us about your experiences by emailing [email protected]

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

WhatsApp: +44 7555 173285
Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
Text an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100

Reactions: Robinredbreast

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i received a letter in the post a couple of weeks ago from my surgery telling me they were switching my pen needles to a brand called omnican
doing research on these needles i found many negative comments including a lot of instances of the needles breaking off in the skin
and that they did not have an inner protective cap ( users of pen needles will understand )

the letter said if i wished to discuss -- to make an appt with the practise diabetes nurse

so i duly did and the meeting was productive-- she said it had a been a practise manager decision and if i was not happy she would amend my prescription to my old current needles
( she was not aware of the negative feedback regarding the new needles )

Reactions: Colin of Kent