Bbc One Repeated Truth About....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The report originally aired in 2016, and had a refreshingly enlightened approach to diets that does not seem to have a hidden agenda or paymaster. However, I am becoming increasingly saddened that the media we have today is becoming headline grabbing, agenda driven and biassed in its reporting. It seems it no longer applies reasonablness critique to study papers it reviews, and there is often a hint of the bias being from externl influences.

I may be wrong in this, but it is how it seems to be now, and is not limited to a few outlets, but is across the board. We are certainly suffering more fake news than we did a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Considering that we live in the 'information age' it seems to be becoming more and more difficult to source reliable, unbiased outlooks. I once said to my old GP that people have, in general, stopped listening to health news on TV because of the conflicting advice we get and at that time I blamed the fairly new phenomenon of 24 hour news coverage that has to be filled. I went on to say that on a slow news day journalists must leaf through the BMJ and pick out any old stuff that would fill a three minute slot purely for the sake of it. And nary a chance of any follow up.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Considering that we live in the 'information age' it seems to be becoming more and more difficult to source reliable, unbiased outlooks. I once said to my old GP that people have, in general, stopped listening to health news on TV because of the conflicting advice we get and at that time I blamed the fairly new phenomenon of 24 hour news coverage that has to be filled. I went on to say that on a slow news day journalists must leaf through the BMJ and pick out any old stuff that would fill a three minute slot purely for the sake of it. And nary a chance of any follow up.

I think that the Information Age is creating many such problems.

My kids live on their smart phones, and the internet. When they visit me I am not able to watch any news programmes as one of them will take an opposing POV, and turn off the sound to have a 20 minute rant about what their viewpoint is. When I query their source, they sjhow me endless youtube vloggers, or some comedian late night show, or a blogger they follow on the net that comments daily on the news, Nonw of their sources seem to be anything other than people spouting forth, and it seems that the more bad language they use, and the louder they shout, then the more believable it becomes to them. And they take it up vehemently as being more true than the fake news I read or view.

They do not query the possibility of bias or subversive funding, so a report on RTV is juat as valid as CNN. They may be right, but there seems to be an unquestioning acceptance of alternative views against the establishment. If it is contrary to the established system, then it has to be good and right eh?

Then they spread their POV thus picked up onto the social networks, looking for likes and brownie points to support their stance from other equally conditioned people. The more likes they score, the truer their POV it seems. This is Real Democracy in action innit?

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My youngest is the same. I had to explain to him just recently that having a different view to his does not mean that I am biassed, we were talking about his wish to become vegetarian and from what he was saying I know a little propaganda had been swallowed. Having seen Peter Balerstedt's (sp) views on mixed usage of land I tried to direct my lad to the presentation but was really surprised that he refused point blank to even search for it. There's little chance of him becoming a vegetarian but I ended the conversation by saying that one does not have to condone the views of another to understand them but to understand them one has first to listen to them.

Reactions: zand

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My youngest is the same. I had to explain to him just recently that having a different view to his does not mean that I am biassed, we were talking about his wish to become vegetarian and from what he was saying I know a little propaganda had been swallowed. Having seen Peter Balerstedt's (sp) views on mixed usage of land I tried to direct my lad to the presentation but was really surprised that he refused point blank to even search for it. There's little chance of him becoming a vegetarian but I ended the conversation by saying that one does not have to condone the views of another to understand them but to understand them one has first to listen to them.
Yes I know what you mean about the move to vegetarianism We get that here too. My wife is being tutored by a friend of hers who runs a health food business from the web that is MLM based, so it really means she sells books, potions and supplements to cure everything under the sun. She is a WFPB advocate but does not do vegan herself, and so my wife has an expensive library courtesy of Michael Greger et al , and bags and bags of expensive supplements that my wife has not used. The current dietplan she is sold on is the celery only diet for 6 weeks to cure Parkinsons and Cancer. It gains credibility through using the web info and the glossy sale pitches and pseudoscience.

My daughter is similar in that she saw the article on why veganism must take over because of the land use / abuse that livestock farming inflicts on the planet. Nothing about animal suffering, just that WFPB is so much better for the planet. When I try to explain tht biofuels are worse culprits, and ground nut oil production for modern foodstuffs is bad, but I get shouted down. However as I point out often in the forum, I buy the household provisions, I cook the food, I wash up and dry, I do all the other things necessary, and so we ALL do LCHF or my variant of it. As they say Money Talks, and its MY house, MY pension. My Rules - ok? And if I say that report was biassed and funded sideways, then I know what I am talking about.