BBC1 Wales - Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, it doesn't.
Insulin resistance starts long before the weight gain.
This was shown in 1000s of examples over decades of testing by Kraft (there is a great you tube video on the subject called 'Kraft, father of the insulin assay' if you want the details. Well worth the watch).

In addition, people with PCOS and any other type of insulin resistance increasing medical condition (like myself) or meds which increase IR, became insulin resistant before the weight gain, which is a symptom, not a cause.

Of course, as soon as the weight increase becomes significant enough, then the weight itself becomes a factor too.

But the thing that came first was the IR
True, but IR is believed to be triggered by visceral fat gain which would not be obvious. Skinny people can have excess visceral fat and IR. The external fat gain may well come later.

I probably should have phrased it as fat gain rather than weight gain, as it may not take much visceral fat to actually trigger the IR.

I was a skinny child, but undoubtedly my IR was fuelled by spending my dinner money in the tuck shop rather than eating decent meals. I became a plump teenager, and a fat adult.