Bbq advice for my 10yr old boy

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all , we are having the first big bbq of the year tomorrow .. my newly diagnosed boy loves bbqs . He’s a massive meat lover . Now I’m just wondering ... I know most un processed meats are carb free , we tend to marinade fresh meats in sauces / seasonings . If he “grazes” On the powder seasoned or plain fresh meats will he be able to eat it relatively freely ? Of course any buns etc will be eaten with his lunch insulin but in between ? Any advise is so appreciated thank u in advance

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Babydee00001 ,

It's all trial & error at these sort of affairs... Your lad may also be in the honeymoon period? Which could be to his advantage..
Keeping a close eye on the sugar levels is key with a new venture like barbies. Even protien eventually breaks down into blood sugar. (If grazing this can be hard to gauge.) However. The bolus for the buns may cover it. Keep a close eye for possible highs a few hours later. "Pizza effect". Fats could slow down digestion.?

However. Above all. You & the boy have fun! :cool:

Reactions: Babydee00001

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I know what u mean with the pizza effect ! We have had a few of those when he’s eaten pasta , he’s had a high bolus then gone into a hypo after or even during eating it bless him . He is in his honeymoon as it happens and what with the heat he’s been having hypos every day sometimes twice . It’s setting him in good stead to recognise them looking to the positive Thank u for your reply I shall do exactly as u say and just keep e keen eye . He’s usually a well rounded boy so I think I’ll be able to tell . My god we going through test strips like there’s no tomorrow atm !!!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spooky, @Jaylee - I literally was tagging you in when I noticed a new reply!

@Babydee00001 - I hope you all have a fab BBQ tomorrow.

Oddly, I was sat in the middle of a brutal thunder storm & was thinking of a BBQ when I saw this thread.. :D

Yes I know what u mean with the pizza effect ! We have had a few of those when he’s eaten pasta , he’s had a high bolus then gone into a hypo after or even during eating it bless him . He is in his honeymoon as it happens and what with the heat he’s been having hypos every day sometimes twice . It’s setting him in good stead to recognise them looking to the positive Thank u for your reply I shall do exactly as u say and just keep e keen eye . He’s usually a well rounded boy so I think I’ll be able to tell . My god we going through test strips like there’s no tomorrow atm !!!!

The heat maybe increasing insulin sensitivity? (What with the fair weather excersise thrown in too.)
Your son may need a basal tweak? (I know I quite often do when it gets hotter.) But consult this with his HCPs..
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oddly, I was sat in the middle of a brutal thunder storm & was thinking of a BBQ when I saw this thread.. :D

The heat maybe increasing insulin sensitivity? (What with the fair weather excersise thrown in too.)
Your son may need a basal tweak? (I know I quite often do when it gets hotter.) But consult this with his HCPs..
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Yeah I think maybe i will need to adjust his ratios again , they say just see how it goes as other then the hypos his levels been spot on . Thank u for reply lord knows we want this sunshine forever but hey .... u know as soon as I change it it will thunder and light haha

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I think maybe i will need to adjust his ratios again , they say just see how it goes as other then the hypos his levels been spot on . Thank u for reply lord knows we want this sunshine forever but hey .... u know as soon as I change it it will thunder and light haha

Well, the storm where I am has past over.
Here's hoping for a fine day for you guys tomorrow! :)