Becoming a fat burner not sugar burner

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out running with friends tonight - talking nutrition. I have found that I have about 45 mins of blood sugar going mega high (as glycogen stores release) levelling off and then boom drop starts. I have dabbled with jelly babies etc as need about 15 gs carbs per half hour. Friends mention working in heart rate zones to burn fat not carbs so you can keep going without topping up. By coincidence husband showed me a feed fro someone who has just gone up everest without oxygen by becoming a fat burner rather than carb burner. I am type 1 and have been on the blood sugar roller coaster of running - I have to put up with being really high fir about 30 mins to then praying that the blood sugar I have left and the carbs I shovel in are enough to get me through the next hour or more . I laugh but it's hard work. This fat burning seems like it would be an answer I think I have seen a few others mention it - has anyone tried it?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look at the low carb and ketogenic sections of the forum.
If you cut your carbs right down and eat enough fat you can switch your body into fat burning mode. You'll still utilize the few carbs you may eat, but then switch over over to burning fat, so no further need to keep on eating those extra carbs to keep your energy up as you can store vastly more fat as reserves than you can carbs. It appears to be a fairly common way of eating for endurance athletes, but also very useful for controlling glucose levels due to the low carb and high fat content and many of us type 2s (and some type 1s here as well) eat this way to help manage our diabetes

You should also check out Volek & Phinney's Art and Science of Low Carb Performance, and perhaps also their similar title on low carb living - both available form Amazon.

Robbity

Ps But watch your insulin levels and probably take advice of doses.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find the TypeOneGrit Facebook group helpful.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank so much for all these replies! I love a new learning phase I will look at the sites books and vids!