Becoming A Fitness Freak!

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum.

anything is possible, find an exercise you enjoy, eat a bit less & move about a bit more & the world's your lobster

You're right. I think that diabetes saved my life too. I feel as though I've been given a second chance and I'm grabbing it :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mark1963 said:
Hi, first time post. Male 49 type 2. Been diabetic for 18 months, started walking each day & built up to 5 miles a day for 12 months. Lost 3 stone & now weight train & run. Was a big eater drinker & stopped the day I was diagnosed, I reckon diabetes saved my life. Recovering from a hernia op & a blood clot, Consultsnt says being in such good shape has helped me, thinks i am a life long fitness freak, little knowing I was a 18 stone beer monster 2 years ago ! anything is possible, find an exercise you enjoy, eat a bit less & move about a bit more & the world's your lobster

That's a great opening post Mark :thumbup:

lorri1

I have to say I one of those people that doesn't think Diabetes has saved my life :-(. I was always had a healthy lifestyle, exercised and kept a check on my weight to the degree that some would say I was rather obsessed, but it was my choice!!!! Diabetes has taken all of that away from me!, HAVEING to do something is not the same as WANTING to do something, it's human nature isn't it? I chose not to have burger and chips before, but now that I don't have that choice!!!!....well I want it lol
However, I had been an appointment at the hospital yesterday to be tested (or so I thought) for type 1 as I have previously been diagnosed with Type 2, but it was clear from the start that I was misdiagnosed, due to the fact that I could not keep my BG's down with 120ml twice a day on Glic and exercising morning, noon and night! and was only 6stone 4..... so anyway, I was told that I would go onto insulin next tues, without even being tested for Type 1, apparently, she said that the way I am presented :eh: (I take it she wasn't referring to my very nice co-ordinated gym gear :lol: ) and considering all the facts insulin was the best way to go, now I was pretty much ready for this decision but why not test me anyway? so I ask to be tested and they agreed, not sure what that will achieve but for my own piece of mind I think it would help?? She explained that the tests are not always conclusive. I have been told that insulin will make my diabetes alot easier to manage....and thanks to a couple of members on here, mentioning no names Simplyh :) thankyou hun! I am starting to believe it...... I can fit the insulin to my lifestyle and hey presto! lol.....life will be sweet .... no I am sure it's not gonna be that easy :roll: but I am trying to think positive. I am very confused about the carb counting and quite scared....well more scared of the Carbs really, I've always been one to be very low on the carb front, so worry that I will have to have them because of the insulin? do you have to have carbs with EVERY meal?

All in all I am pretty sad but starting to accept that I can't change things back, so trying to move onward and upwards.....Whatever happens I will still be a Fitness Freak :thumbup:

lorri1 said:
I have to say I one of those people that doesn't think Diabetes has saved my life :-(. I was always had a healthy lifestyle, exercised and kept a check on my weight...

I know what you mean. One of my first thoughts at diagnosis was 'why me?'; if my life-style had been munching pizza and jammie dodgers all day in front of Jeremy Kyle, OK, fair enough. But no, a very healthy outdoor country lifestyle with a balanced diet, being teetotal and having a median BMI proved irrelevant.

The main thing being that, like you, I chose my lifestyle and enjoyed it. It's quite another matter altogether when it's foisted upon you! Although I cant work out why it should. I guess it's the thought that I have to now move from a lifestyle that many other diabetics see as something they have to work towards to achieve 'success'. You and I now have to move to greater extremes of diet, exercise and medication to achieve the same BG results as they do by simply giving up the pizzas!

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
DavidGriffiths said:
lorri1 said:
I have to say I one of those people that doesn't think Diabetes has saved my life :-(. I was always had a healthy lifestyle, exercised and kept a check on my weight...

I know what you mean. One of my first thoughts at diagnosis was 'why me?'; if my life-style had been munching pizza and jammie dodgers all day in front of Jeremy Kyle, OK, fair enough. But no, a very healthy outdoor country lifestyle with a balanced diet, being teetotal and having a median BMI proved irrelevant.

The main thing being that, like you, I chose my lifestyle and enjoyed it. It's quite another matter altogether when it's foisted upon you! Although I cant work out why it should. I guess it's the thought that I have to now move from a lifestyle that many other diabetics see as something they have to work towards to achieve 'success'. You and I now have to move to greater extremes of diet, exercise and medication to achieve the same BG results as they do by simply giving up the pizzas!

I didn't really eat pizzas before and I'm a non-smoking, teetotal vegetarian, so I think you might be being slightly judgemental in your post there David.

didie said:
I didn't really eat pizzas before and I'm a non-smoking, teetotal vegetarian, so I think you might be being slightly judgemental in your post there David.

Apologies, I wasn't clear at all!

What I was trying to say in a clumsy way is that's it seems unfair that people who take care of themselves as a lifestyle choice, like you (and I) should become diabetic.

Whereas had we been 'traditional' diabetic risks prior to diagnosis (ie. generally unhealthy), we would now be encouraged to change our lifestyle to that which WE already have.

clarusblue

I'm moving to a new town for the next academic year and considering taking my bike with me to do some cycling to and from places! I'm very excited, I do cycle now but only for leisure rather than with a purpose. I think I'll enjoy it more although I definitely need to get some practice/advice about riding on the roads before I do.

Ehlana

I too have started cycling seriously since moving to a new city earlier this year. Finding it tough going - I am generally a runner and can run about 10k at a reasonable time. However, cycling 8 miles each way (with hills) three times a week burns a lot of calories!

Question - is it better to take on a small snack prior to cycling (I am generally out about 40 mins) and then have a meal afterwards? I am finding it difficult to go straight out on my bike after breakfast.

Been a diabetic for 13 years and still learning.....

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I think it is far too simplistic to assume, like the press seem to, that most T2 diabetics became that way as a result of living a pigging out slothful life. There are a large number of sedentary obese people who do not have diabetes and luckily for them will probably never will.
When I told someone recently that I diabetic they said 'have you lost a lot of weight then?' I am not overweight, I don't smoke or drink, have always eaten a moderately low carb diet and my only vice was having the largest bar of dairy milk that I could buy at Christmas as snaffling it all myself. I have no family history of diabetes and until I was diagnosed did not know any.

My doctor tells me that this is not unusual - he has known people become diabetic through stress, car accidents, surgery and sometimes just luck.

lorri1

Think we've been told David lol, and It's nice to know that there are many like us out there :) .... we have each other....group hug :lol:

Lorri.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
clarusblue said:
I'm moving to a new town for the next academic year and considering taking my bike with me to do some cycling to and from places! I'm very excited, I do cycle now but only for leisure rather than with a purpose. I think I'll enjoy it more although I definitely need to get some practice/advice about riding on the roads before I do.

....and please for goodness sake wear a helmet!!!

I hate to see cyclist out without any head protection, even worse when they are all out for a family outing and the children don't wear helmets :evil:

clarusblue

noblehead said:
clarusblue said:

....and please for goodness sake wear a helmet!!!

I hate to see cyclist out without any head protection, even worse when they are all out for a family outing and the children don't wear helmets :evil:
I will definitely be wearing a helmet, I had a very dramatic fall while mountain biking last summer and really cracked my head on a rock, thank god I was wearing one then.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
clarusblue said:
I will definitely be wearing a helmet, I had a very dramatic fall while mountain biking last summer and really cracked my head on a rock, thank god I was wearing one then.

I'm pleased to hear you wear a helmet! :)

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
The way I look at it is, I have it, I can try and keep it in check, or It will do what its wants do do anyway. I can do no more than try. but sure as eggs is eggs you have to live with it, so rather than living with some thing you detest and wondering why me, and I did everything right in life. try and co exist with it, I feel down sure, but hey look at all these great folks on here, they get on with their lives and enjoy them selves, my mother in law has type 1, never really stopped her doing anything. She is like a Tasmanian devil, she has gone blind in one eye now, and thinking about it I have never once heard her wallowing in self pity, No she just picks herself up and kicks back. Come on guys you ain't being shot in the morning are you. I just ask what puzzles me on here or tell my woes and somebody pops up and puts me right, and am now working my way through the food section in low carbs having some fun to boot.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I have e been unofficially been diagnosed with type 2 possibly 1.5, my sugars are high recent reading 14.7

I am 12st and am 5ft 9ins, I train as much as I can at the gym and hold a pretty good shape abs n all

What I need to do is increase my weight to 12 and a half stone in the next 2 month

Are protein drinks ok to use 3 times per day in between meal?