Becoming a World Champion, with Type 1 shenanigans

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,
been on the forum for a while but have been missing. Would just like to pat myself on the back as I have recently become a World Champion in equipped Bench press. I have been type 1 for 27 years and have weight trained through all of it. And despite everything that type1 can throw at me, I have achieved a goal I set myself on my 50th birthday, to become a World Champion in powerlifting. I can now safely say Goal Achieved! it very nearly turned into disaster before it began as I had a series of hypos the night before which were totally unexpected (very long story to explain) but managed to recover enough to bench 175kg, which was the heaviest bench in my flight and the second heaviest equipped bench of the day, so despite my diabetes trying it's best to derail things I have become a World Bench Press Champion. Just thought this would be good to show that you can achieve anything with diabetes.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done in your fantastic achievement! Your commitment payed off :)

Reactions: johnpol

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done - have heard it also helps massively with BG control too ?

Reactions: johnpol

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done - have heard it also helps massively with BG control too ?
unfortunately not for me, I go really high during and afterward a training session, then its damage limitations for a couple of hours. But i've done it for years so its just normal for me now.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
unfortunately not for me, I go really high during and afterward a training session, then its damage limitations for a couple of hours. But i've done it for years so its just normal for me now.
That's a pain but if your used to managing it then fine, I know a t1 girl who sheds weight with training, does that mean you have to consume much more to train ?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a pain but if your used to managing it then fine, I know a t1 girl who sheds weight with training, does that mean you have to consume much more to train ?
I have to take insulin before I train, then afterwards, food is restricted before I train then I eat after to coincide with my insulin, about and hour afterwards. as my consultant says "your just awkward Mr Pollard, bloody awkward!"

• Funny
Reactions: Juicyj