Bed time reading injection and food?

RickyCantrell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who cause stress and drama
I normally do my last injection (Lantus 25-30 units) between 9.30 and 10 pm I've just done my sugars and it's at 4.3 what would everyone have to eat with it?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I do Lantus, though not the same dosage as yourself. I would take in a jelly baby & a digestive buicuit. & keep an eye out for a recurring drop around 2/3am or posibly 5/am?

When did you last eat, you still may have fast acting insilin working?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some cashew nuts? They're higher carb than many other nuts and I love them. A lowish bedtime reading for me is the perfect excuse to eat them.

D

Deleted Account

I would think about what BG I want to aim for and eat enough carbs to bring you up to that level.
For example, I aim to be around abou 5.4 when I go to bed. 10g carbs would bring me BG up by 1 mol/l so I would look for something with 10g carbs like a digestive biscuit or 3 dextrose tablets.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @RickyCantrell, From experience as a TID, not as professional advice or opinion:
I assume Lantus has been taken: In your place I might:
# set the alarm for about 2 am and check BSL then and if OK recheck about 4 to 6 am, take food for any readings that seem too low
# take something which is less likely to spike BSL like half a tin of baked beans but still recheck BSL say between 2 and 4 am.
# review food and insulin taken at evening meals
# consider whether there is a better choice than Lantus
# discuss the scenario with my DSN

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Alternatively if you read a really scary book or watch and very exciting or scary movie the adrenaline release may well raise your BSLs to the point where there is not risk of a hypo !!