Been in denial now freaking....

Snichy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The key to longevity is to realise the implications of not keeping to a good diet i.e. losing limbs and losing eyesight then find little things you can have as a treat to reward yourself like honey with yoghurt or there's a great company called Pundits who do a low carb milk chocolate that's tasty and only 19g of carbs in 100g bar.

Mick1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sarah, I share your love of carby things, but have managed to get to normal HBa1c, without meds, just by being selective and reducing portion sizes. I cut out added sugar drinks totally, and try to be sensible with meal planning. If I have bread in a meal, or chips, or pasta, or rice, I keep the total carbs down to around 100 g, any more spikes me bad, then the other meals of the day I try to avoid carbs as much as possible. We are all different, but that works for me. Like you, I started on Metformin at diagnosis, but after spending 2 weeks in the bathroom, realised it wasn't going to be the answer. It doesn't work for everyone on here, but if you really struggle to go carb free, just remember, a LITTLE of what you like might be acceptable. I know that I can't eat carbs 3 times a day, that looks to be your failing. Good luck, keep trying, you'll get there....

Sent from my SM-T520 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
This is a youtube video from a ted talk with Dr Sarah Hallberg who advocates a low carb high fat diet and I encourage you to watch it when you have free time. It's been a great deal of help for me because I too love carbs.

May I ask what you ate before diagnosis? @Sarah-b

This is an excellent video, every person with diabetes should watch it. Far more useful than anything the NHS advises.