Beggared by Bourguignon

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using LC diet for a few years now, and I have recovered some of my beta cell functions to the point of being relatively carb tolerant again. My 2hr PP is usually lower than my premeal, but rarely rises by more than 1 mmol/l above it.

Last night was a milestone B'day for me, and we splashed out on a boef bourguignon meal. Now this uses ingredients that I have previously used for things like curry, stews, casseroles etc, and I had a couple of small pototoes that I have found do not affct my bgl. So I was surptised to experience a 3 point rise in bgl that lasted well into the night beyond the 4 hr PP time.

The one thing that was not previously tested was the sauce / gravy which came in a premixed sachet (Schwarz). Now I suspect this was the cause of my spike since it was the only untested item in the meal. It listed carbs as 75 per 100g, but the pack contained less than 100 g, and was split 6 ways by the meal. So I do not think it was carbs alone that I was sensitive to. I think the ingredient labelled as modified starch may be the culprit, since I have noted on previous occasions that Mono Sodium Glutamate (MSG) has spooked me in the past.

So I think the warning I take from this is to avoid premixed gravy mixes and sauces with MSG in them. So again I will cook from scratch in future and pass on the cheaper ready meals and frozen TV dinners.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never mind it was a one off and it was your birthday- I make beef bourguignon from scratch and use a freezer bag with a table spoon of flour in - toss the meat in the flour in the bag then the flour goes along way and gives a thin coating on all the meat, usually make for 8 so the carbs for the flour is less tha 1g per portion.

I agree the MSG would probably be the culprit- I avoid it like the plague

Reactions: Oldvatr

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It was a joke that if you have a Chinese takeaway you'll be hungry again in an hour. Definitely true for me and I'm metabolically challenged but not T2. I was inclined to think it was the rice but MSG makes more sense as I've always limited the rice.

Happy birthday!

Reactions: Oldvatr

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Happy milestone Birthday @Oldvatr! Sounds like you celebrated in style! I would tend to agree with you that it was the MSG that did you in, but sounds like you have things under control again? Blessings/L

Hotpepper20000

I have been using LC diet for a few years now, and I have recovered some of my beta cell functions to the point of being relatively carb tolerant again. My 2hr PP is usually lower than my premeal, but rarely rises by more than 1 mmol/l above it.

Last night was a milestone B'day for me, and we splashed out on a boef bourguignon meal. Now this uses ingredients that I have previously used for things like curry, stews, casseroles etc, and I had a couple of small pototoes that I have found do not affct my bgl. So I was surptised to experience a 3 point rise in bgl that lasted well into the night beyond the 4 hr PP time.

The one thing that was not previously tested was the sauce / gravy which came in a premixed sachet (Schwarz). Now I suspect this was the cause of my spike since it was the only untested item in the meal. It listed carbs as 75 per 100g, but the pack contained less than 100 g, and was split 6 ways by the meal. So I do not think it was carbs alone that I was sensitive to. I think the ingredient labelled as modified starch may be the culprit, since I have noted on previous occasions that Mono Sodium Glutamate (MSG) has spooked me in the past.

So I think the warning I take from this is to avoid premixed gravy mixes and sauces with MSG in them. So again I will cook from scratch in future and pass on the cheaper ready meals and frozen TV dinners.
Many packaged sauce mixes have corn flour/starch in them. In my experience this spikes me and takes 3-4 hours before coming down.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit it is puzzling to know how to thicken sauces, soups or casseroles. Pre-D I would use flour, potato, lentils but they are all unsuitable now. When I make a curry I use grated onion (actually blitzed in the machine) but that isnt suitable for say a watercress soup or chicken in tarragon sauce. I know tomato puree can be useful to thicken. Has any home cook found a way round this?

Hotpepper20000

I must admit it is puzzling to know how to thicken sauces, soups or casseroles. Pre-D I would use flour, potato, lentils but they are all unsuitable now. When I make a curry I use grated onion (actually blitzed in the machine) but that isnt suitable for say a watercress soup or chicken in tarragon sauce. I know tomato puree can be useful to thicken. Has any home cook found a way round this?
With curries both Indian and Thai I use coconut milk from a can and simmer it. It has a Nice Texture. Even before LCHF i didn’t use a thickener.
Soups I have never used a thickener either. Just put in a bit less broth and more vegetables and meat. Sometimes I take some of the vegetables and broth and blitz it, and them mix it back in.
With any roast dinner I take the onion and garlic from underneath the meat add a bit of cream or broth and blitz it with a blender.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Milestone @Oldvatr !!!

I find the best way to get over MSG or artificial hangover is to drink LOTS of water.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Milestone @Oldvatr !!!

I find the best way to get over MSG or artificial hangover is to drink LOTS of water.
Yeah, Whisky didn't shift it, maybe should have used some icecubes...... Still a bit high tonight, but I just wiped Office off my computer by mistake, so it could be stress.

Thanks for the b'day wishes, B.