1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Benefit advice

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by brydo3226, Mar 3, 2017.

  1. brydo3226

    brydo3226 Type 2 · Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    hy can any one give me some advice im lying in bed cant sleep my head is buzzing .i currently have medical conditions..starting with diabetes/asthma/neurothapy/pephrial vascular disease/retninal damage/small toe amputated/and now waiting to find out if my lower leg has to be amputated...would prob need to give up work if i loose my leg ...does any one know if i would be entilted to dla or pip sickness benefit.:meh:cheers brian
    • Hug Hug x 3
  2. noblehead

    noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Can't say with any certainty but I'd imagine you'd be entitled to some benefits if you have to give up work @brydo3226 , maybe contact the Citizen's Advice and talk things over with them as they'll advise further.

    Good luck and best wishes.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. ickihun

    ickihun Type 2 · Master

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Seek advice @brydo3226 Brian. They will help you tick the boxes that's relevant to you.
    I should have been claiming pip for yrs whilst working but never did. Although I have many health problems not directly diabetes complications.
    I believe pip does cover some diabetes complications. As of esa (sickpay) I think disabled people are still espected to work but call esa for a chat. They will tell you if you qualify, for now. Maybe intrim support until an essessment?
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #3 ickihun, Mar 3, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. Alison Campbell

    Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Please think about getting benefits advice and help with the forms from an organisation like Citizens Advice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ultramum

    Ultramum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    You may well qualify for benefits. I know on PIP that it isn't the actual conditions that you have but how they affect you in terms of certain activities.

    CAB can offer advice and help - depending on where you live your local council may be able to sign post you to other organisations that can assist with benefit advice.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. CarbsRok

    CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    You can apply for PIP ESA council tax rebate, help with rent if in rented accommodation. You do need to see a benefits advisor though so you don't miss out on anything. CAB, welfare rights etc. can help you out.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

    Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

    Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

    Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

  • Like us on Facebook