Benefits or allowances?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Robinredbreast I don't want to like your armlessness but if there was a sympathise button I'd press that.
I always look in the remainders cabinet near the fish stall at our Tesco as a challenge to see what I can create cheaply.
I'm afraid at the Co-op the remainder produce is a bit manky (manqué, I believe)

Thank you deejay, I have a lot more use of it now and it's fine. I like fish too and I am always looking for bargains in supermarkets, well anywhere really. We have Co-op about 15 minutes walk away and I have looked in there, when in the area, and it is quite expensive, so would that be a more upmarket manky item then ? ;):D

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Thank you deejay, I have a lot more use of it now and it's fine. I like fish too and I am always looking for bargains in supermarkets, well anywhere really. We have Co-op about 15 minutes walk away and I have looked in there, when in the area, and it is quite expensive, so would that be a more upmarket manky item then ? ;):D
Le Co-Op et trés manqué lol, avez vous cherchez Le Morrisons ? C'est trés chic. Le lol

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Anyway on a serious note only diabetics with serious complications usually apply for any disability benefits. Neuropathy, retinopathy etc deserve focus.

Reactions: 2 people

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hello
I was diagnosed with diabetes, am I entitled to any benefits?
is there any allowance for the so expensive diabetic food?
thanks!
Hi
Your food bill wont be any higher than before- if anything-it should be lower. You cut out all of the rubbish and a good BALANCED healthy diet is all that you need-with keeping an eye on how any particular product may affect your BS levels.
I got all sorts of bad advice when I was first diabetic-including trying the ( yes, expensive) diabetes food products. They are not only totally unecessary-alot of them give you a not fun bowel experience due to their ingredients. Avoid them!
I also got told to avoid fruit because they are high in sugar! I loved my fruit and was gutted- now I enjoy it to the full with no negative results.
To see how great your food can be-check out the Diabetes UK free online cook book-its excellent-and wont cost a fortune either.
If money is an issue- ALDI is my latest discovery-top quality fruit, veg and protein at rock bottom prices. Morrisons price match ALDI too...

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting a casserole dish is the way to go. You can make a whole meal in there and have some left over for the next day. Try the Basics range hoummus with celery, a big jar of olives you can pick at, sugar free jelly and cream and nuts. All these have good fats. Think outside the box about what you can eat. We have all had to do this, and we don't mind sharing what we know. Good luck :)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the eye test and retina scan done at hte same time? x
It depends. If you wear glasses, you will go for an eye test at your opticians, they will probably do a retina scan. However, you will get an appointment to go and have another retina scan at the hospital. They put drops in your eyes there and the scan is more comprehensive. That is the more important scan.

Reactions: sandra curtis

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mysupermarket.co.uk will tell you where a product is cheaper or on offer. Places like Poundland, 99p Stores, Family Bargains, Poundstretcher, Home Bargains, often have cheap tinned wild fish, cheaper milk, tinned tomatoes but also loads of junk.