Bereavement and Diabetes ?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mums greatest fear was Type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed about 6 weeks before she died. I could not tell her when she always asked how I was. I hated lying to her.

What did your Mum fear most about T2, @beardie ?

Fruitsalad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone had any experience of going through bereavement (or other major shock) as a Diabetic?

How did it affect your BG levels and diet and overall Diabetic health?

I am seriously struggling with sleeping and eating .. routines have gone to pot and been all over the place for a while now... BG's have shot up higher than they were at diagnosis a year ago.. even my fasting BG is higher than it's ever been. Even not eating for 24 hours, my BG was way too high.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I've been Type 1 for 35 years. In January I lost my mum quite suddenly, the shock and stress of it all sent my bloodsugars haywire. I felt that they were totally out of control and I didn't have the strength to deal with looking after myself as well as dealing with the aftermath of my mums death. Even now, all these months later my bloodsugars still act erratically...absolutely no obvious reasons for the highs and lows. I'm eating better, healthy clean low(er) carbs to try and sort myself. It's just another hurdle.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
AFruitsalad you are replying to a eight year old thread by the OP, who would / should have got over the bereavement by now.

Reactions: mansingh01

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
I was diagnosed with diabetes whilst dealing with my mum's death. Not a good combo for my already brittle mental health (I've experienced a lot of trauma over the years).

RosemaryJackson

I lost my 51 year old daughter suddenly last March to a Brainstem Haemorrhage. On her death certificate, the 2nd item was Diabetes Mellitus. It seems that diabetes can cause the vascular system to become more fragile. My daughter suffered from mental issues and she was always stressing about everything. Her son is Autistic and that caused so many problems for her. Her levels were always high and she couldn't lose weight. I firmly believe that stress can keep levels high. I sat with her to the end when she was taken off life support and taken to surgery where she donated organs. It was surreal and although I sat up and took notice about the diabetes, I didn't really do anything about it. I had bereavement counselling and although it helped while I was with the counsellor, when I left the surgery, it all seemed to go back to grieving. There seems to be an order the grieving process follows and it seems to take forever. I couldn't cope and had meltdowns every day, but it does get easier. Just take it day by day. I wish you all the best. I know exactly what you are all going through. x