Bereavement

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
My father died on the 3rd March and I have been crazy busy getting things sorted out because nobody else in my family seemed willing or able to organise a funeral etc. I have also been appointed as my father's executor.

Add to that a husband who injured his leg very badly and refused to go to A&E and ended up with cellulitis. He hs been put on some heavy antibiotics and guess who has been looking after him?

By this morning I think I had reached the point where I was about to explode, I had terrible stomach pain and no matter what I do, my bs doesnt seem to want to go down.

Visited the doctor with husband, and he listened to what I had to say. He has put me on some anti-anxiety medication and some beta blockers. He said not to worry too much about the diabetes at the moment, as higher blood sugar is not unusual in diabetics in this situation. He suggested we get the anxiety under control first.

Can I ask friends on this board if they have been affected by higher blood sugar after a bereavement? I am just wondering what causes this phenomenon?!

P

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My father died on the 3rd March and I have been crazy busy getting things sorted out because nobody else in my family seemed willing or able to organise a funeral etc. I have also been appointed as my father's executor.

Add to that a husband who injured his leg very badly and refused to go to A&E and ended up with cellulitis. He hs been put on some heavy antibiotics and guess who has been looking after him?

By this morning I think I had reached the point where I was about to explode, I had terrible stomach pain and no matter what I do, my bs doesnt seem to want to go down.

Visited the doctor with husband, and he listened to what I had to say. He has put me on some anti-anxiety medication and some beta blockers. He said not to worry too much about the diabetes at the moment, as higher blood sugar is not unusual in diabetics in this situation. He suggested we get the anxiety under control first.

Can I ask friends on this board if they have been affected by higher blood sugar after a bereavement? I am just wondering what causes this phenomenon?!

P

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Providence.

I'm fortunate not to have suffered the loss of anyone very close to me since diagnosis, so I can't comment about that directly. One comment I will make is that although my bloods are very well controlled, I do know that if I become either very excited, or stressed (thankfully, my life has more of the former than the latter), my numbers do nudge up a bit.

Don't be too harsh on yourself at the moment; you really do have a lot on your plate (excuse the pun). Hopefully life will settle a bit for you soon.

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently caring for my two elderly parents and my sugars have been higher which (I have no doubt) has been due to stress - Stress releases hormones which will affect your BS Levels so don't worry too much - Sorry you're having such a bad time at the moment :/Google "The effects of stress on Blood Sugars" :) I'm on insulin so I just Up my dosage to compensate, but if you're at medication stage then be sure to keep a close eye on it. Check for ketones regularly where possible (if they're going uber high) to avoid any dangerous situations coming about from DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

P
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
I lost my grandmother last year and I started questioning LIFE . Upset and stress interfers with our hormones @Providence 62
The beta blocker will help and any anxiety relief.
Its just til your body readjusts to the changes happening in your life. It does get better. Hugs galore for you.
I have huge admiration for you still testing and posting. I found them a huge help too.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am so sorry for your loss xx

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi @Providence 62 I can understand exactly how you feel. 3 years ago my beloved Dad died and a few days later my elder brother had a couple of mini strokes that put him in hospital. I also had the task of arranging the funeral and dealing with probate - my brother had to go in for an op on his carotid artery the day after the funeral and luckily has fully recovered. I look back now and wonder how on earth we all got through it - I did suffer with colitis shortly after which I put down to all the stress. I know it's not much help, but quite often there is one person in the family that others look to in traumatic times and I think it is probably a tribute to you that you have been chosen. Be kind to yourself and do what you can - there will be an end to all this and then you really should take a holiday and let others take the strain. Sorry for your loss and hoping things ease up soon. Best wishes.