Best Blood Glucose Testing Meter?

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctors / diabetic nurse will probably tell you that you don't need to monitor your BS and they will do it on a annual or may be on a 3 monthly basis.

Think you will find most of us will say its important to get a meter, as you have found most suppliers will give you one free, and then you will need to get the test strips on prescription, which is another problem as its a post code lottery on which area or even doctor will give you a prescription.

Only going on my own experience, I gave in to the constant don't need to test and rely on us (the GP practice) to monitor you. How wrong I was to stop testing, around 6 months ago things went haywire and had no support for a good while. My BS were in the teens to the 20's.

It has taken several months of new meds and testing to identify what foods are safe and which send BS sky high. If I had left it to how the doctors wanted to leave it I still would not have a clue on what went wrong, and no doubt my BS would still be sky high. Its important to find what foods you can and can't tolerate and you can only do this by testing.

Some times you can get the strips cheaper by going direct to the meter providers, one I have seen comments to this effect is from Abbott Medisense.

If you can't get strips on prescription there are several low cost options like the SD code free and supercheck2 systems.

Diet wise you may find that you will get contradictions of what to eat, like a few on here follow the low carb option, yet you could get well told to eat carbs. :?

heinemenusch

I would second the SD CodeFree. I've was only diagnosed ~5 weeks ago so I am still a novice but with the SD, because the strips are so cheap, I test like mad: at least 8 times a day and sometimes double that (if something unexpected happens).

Whilst I would love all the bells and whistles of some of the others I look at the price of their strips, typically £25 for 50 :shock: compared to the SD ones, £7 for 50 and I can do without a fancy graph and stick to my notebook.

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tested a new set of strips with the control solution. The last set came in at 7.0, this set at 8.1.
Presumably means that my readings could have been up to 1.1low before or up to 1.1 high now.
I was usually between 4.5 and 5.5 but with the new strips started at 6.8 - could be due to the bias but from how I felt I think it was correct - now at 4.8 and I don't think that would be 3.7 with the old strips. Not really sure what this means.
GlucoRX nexus is the meter.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App