1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Best coffee for our club

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Diabeticger, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Diabeticger

Diabeticger Type 1 · Active Member

Whats the best kinda coffee for us with t1, I'd assume the likes of restaurant / garage cappuccinos and lattes are a no go, has anyone found one that doesn't effect you too much , pre diabetes I didn't drink it much but I'd treat myself to a latte after work every few days

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Avoid the syrup ones. Bolus for milk if it’s a milky one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm a huge starbucks fan, I avoid milk because I'm lactose intolerant so I always get soy milk. Starbucks do a few choices of sugar free syrups - no carbs. But with coffee it does affect BG levels, some have seen increase. If it is milk, you need to bolus for it.
    However if it is independent coffee shops, who don't have those choices I avoid drinking coffee altogether.

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The best kinda coffee for us with T1 is the coffee which you want to drink.

That includes caps and lattes, provided you spend a bit of time figuring out in advance the carb content, the bolus for it and how those play with more subtle things which you don't know yet, but will learn, like how that coffee relates to iob from the last injection, bufffering from the gi of the last meal etc. etc.

I can understand why T2s say certain types of carb heavy coffees are a "no go", but in the T1 world, there is no such thing as a "no go", provided you use a bit of moderation and understand how insulin works.

#4 Scott-C, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  5. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

There’s really no best or worse of anything for any type of diabetes, it’s all down to what the individual decides is best for them. One mans gingerbread, vente, skinny latte with extra shot is another mans steamed treacle pudding with extra custard.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook