Best coffee for our club

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Whats the best kinda coffee for us with t1, I'd assume the likes of restaurant / garage cappuccinos and lattes are a no go, has anyone found one that doesn't effect you too much , pre diabetes I didn't drink it much but I'd treat myself to a latte after work every few days

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Avoid the syrup ones. Bolus for milk if it’s a milky one.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a huge starbucks fan, I avoid milk because I'm lactose intolerant so I always get soy milk. Starbucks do a few choices of sugar free syrups - no carbs. But with coffee it does affect BG levels, some have seen increase. If it is milk, you need to bolus for it.
However if it is independent coffee shops, who don't have those choices I avoid drinking coffee altogether.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Whats the best kinda coffee for us with t1, I'd assume the likes of restaurant / garage cappuccinos and lattes are a no go, h

The best kinda coffee for us with T1 is the coffee which you want to drink.

That includes caps and lattes, provided you spend a bit of time figuring out in advance the carb content, the bolus for it and how those play with more subtle things which you don't know yet, but will learn, like how that coffee relates to iob from the last injection, bufffering from the gi of the last meal etc. etc.

I can understand why T2s say certain types of carb heavy coffees are a "no go", but in the T1 world, there is no such thing as a "no go", provided you use a bit of moderation and understand how insulin works.

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There’s really no best or worse of anything for any type of diabetes, it’s all down to what the individual decides is best for them. One mans gingerbread, vente, skinny latte with extra shot is another mans steamed treacle pudding with extra custard.