Best cook books

patricklt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Any suggestions for a good cookbook? I note that Diabetes.co.uk are pushing a new one but it's extremely expensive, even at a reduced rate. Is it worth the extra money or are there other ones that Forum readers would recommend in lieu?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many people do not buy cookbooks but use free recipes on the internet.
I know Diet doctor is very popular for low carb.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Annie Bell Low Carb Revolution
Sarah Flowers Eating to Beat Type 2 Diabetes
Kate Caldesi Diabetes books

More recent Jamie Oliver books have carb counts for recipes and I also find the Hairy Dieters books to be great healthy recipes although they do contain carbs. I just leave them out (eg potatoes) and don’t do the carb heavy recipes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like low carb books based on real food so this is my recommendation:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diabetes-W...iabetics&qid=1616930496&s=digital-text&sr=1-3
It contains useful health info and a foreword by Dr David Unwin GP who has had lots of success with his approach.
Ivor Cummins Eat Rich Live Long (low carb with lots of medical info)
Diet Doctor are great and you can join to get access to meal plans going from low carb to full on keto diet.s
Tom Kerrridge books always look great and I find I can usufally adapt the recipes - use full fat everything and sub in low carb for high starch ingredients.
A lot of the diabetes cook books tend to focus on low fat /high carb cooking so be warned if you're not going for this approach.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go for the Internet approach. There are rarely more than one or two recipes in each book that you would make regularly. In an attempt to be different from other books the authors tend to go for complex with lots of ingredients, to seem like a chef rather than a home cook.