1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Best cook books

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by patricklt, Mar 28, 2021.

1. patricklt

patricklt Type 2 · Member

Any suggestions for a good cookbook? I note that Diabetes.co.uk are pushing a new one but it's extremely expensive, even at a reduced rate. Is it worth the extra money or are there other ones that Forum readers would recommend in lieu?

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Many people do not buy cookbooks but use free recipes on the internet.
    I know Diet doctor is very popular for low carb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ChristieM

ChristieM Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Annie Bell Low Carb Revolution
    Sarah Flowers Eating to Beat Type 2 Diabetes
    Kate Caldesi Diabetes books

More recent Jamie Oliver books have carb counts for recipes and I also find the Hairy Dieters books to be great healthy recipes although they do contain carbs. I just leave them out (eg potatoes) and don’t do the carb heavy recipes.

4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I like low carb books based on real food so this is my recommendation:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diabetes-W...iabetics&qid=1616930496&s=digital-text&sr=1-3
    It contains useful health info and a foreword by Dr David Unwin GP who has had lots of success with his approach.
    Ivor Cummins Eat Rich Live Long (low carb with lots of medical info)
    Diet Doctor are great and you can join to get access to meal plans going from low carb to full on keto diet.s
    Tom Kerrridge books always look great and I find I can usufally adapt the recipes - use full fat everything and sub in low carb for high starch ingredients.
    A lot of the diabetes cook books tend to focus on low fat /high carb cooking so be warned if you're not going for this approach.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would go for the Internet approach. There are rarely more than one or two recipes in each book that you would make regularly. In an attempt to be different from other books the authors tend to go for complex with lots of ingredients, to seem like a chef rather than a home cook.

7. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook