Best Libre 2 Sensor Cover??

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello folks, I am looking for opinions & options for Libre 2 Sensor covers. For when I'm in the shower etc.

Are they any good & worth buying??
I do have an armband protector thingy!!!
Sorry can't think of the proper name for it..

Many thanks

Reactions: MS6502

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello folks, I am looking for opinions & options for Libre 2 Sensor covers. For when I'm in the shower etc.
You can shower with the Libre, no need for a cover.

I've lost a couple of sensors over the years so I use a Hypafix patch over it, which usualy stays there for the full two weeks.

If you don't lose your sensors there's no need for a cover.

Reactions: In Response

Polarjem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get a band that goes around your arm and over your sensor from Etsy buy 2 as you need a dry band after showering

alian44

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just come back from a holiday and swam in the sea around 20 times and showered sometimes twice a day. Sensor carried on perfectly. I've read some people say long periods in water can mean you need to cover it but I didn't stay in for longer than 30 minutes each time. Having said that I have had a sensor that came unstuck a few days into wearing it with just normal use. I contacted Abbott and they replaced it.

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I use Tegaderm film 1624 (6cm x 7cm), which you can buy from any chemist. Although I buy a box on the internet as I know I'm going to need them and it's much cheaper.

Reactions: MS6502 and Optium

Bhogg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told by consultant to wash the area first, then let it dry, then use an alcohol wipe where I am going to put the sensor. Let it fully dry beforehand and then fix the sensor. I have done this for last 13 months and despite showering, swimming and going to some very hot countries have never had a sensor fall off.

• Agree
Reactions: alian44 and Optium

Matthijs

Good morning

I have had issues with the sensor not remaining stuck on my arm or failing due to water ingress. I’m quite muscly and don’t have much arm fat, so my skin moves a lot since I’m quite active.

I’ve used multiple ways of applying the sensor, multiple off the shelf solutions for covers. After many experiments I developed my own solution.

I use an old sensor to draw a Circle on a piece of flexible sports tape 8x4cm to cut it in an oval with a sensor shaped hole. Then I wrap a band of kinesio tape around my arm.

You end up walking around
This allows me to take cold plunges and shower. It also enables me to surf, snorkel, crossfit etc for hours at once without a failing sensors.

All the best.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too am a no cover kinda gal.

I think there are different kinds of skin: limpet skin which everything sticks firmly to and non-limpet skin.
Before forking out on unnecessary patches, I recommend finding out if you are part of the Limpet Gang with @Antje77 , @alian44 and me.

• Agree
Reactions: HellyMac

ifield4862

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a cheapskate (also a bit clumsy therefore have pulled it off when taking off a t-shirt, ouch), so I just use micropore tape across the thing so there's no edge to catch, also it seems to be unaffected by water and doesn't get a skin reaction.

Reactions: Optium

WILLTOWNLEY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre sensors 1 and 2 are water resistance, I never had any issues showering with mine, without a cover.

On Abbotts website they say
Sensor is water resistant in up to 1 metre (3 feet) of water for a maximum of 30 minutes. Do not immerse longer than 30 minutes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally only put on a cover if the sensor starts to come loose. I have used Tegaderm and it works well.

I now use a Waterproof Transparent Stretch Adhesive Bandage for tattoo aftercare that I got on Amazon. 10cm by 5m (4 inchx5.47yeards) is £8.30, I'm still using the roll I bought in May 2021.

Fujifilm

Why is it on any question, someone comes on and says, “I have never had a problem” as if that makes a difference. If someone said, I cut my arm off with a circular saw and now I can’t use my hand. You could guarantee someone would say, “I cut my arm off and don’t have any problems. !! OK rant over, I use the circular plasters from Amazon made for libre2 they only last about 7 to 10 days. I just change it for another one. I started wearing a patch after I ripped one off going through a door and catching it on the door frame. Of course it was on a day that I forgot my meter. Some good suggestions on here that I will try as the plasters are pricey. The tattoo after care bandage is favourite at the moment.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why is it on any question, someone comes on and says, “I have never had a problem” as if that makes a difference. If someone said, I cut my arm off with a circular saw and now I can’t use my hand. You could guarantee someone would say, “I cut my arm off and don’t have any problems. !! OK rant over, I use the circular plasters from Amazon made for libre2 they only last about 7 to 10 days. I just change it for another one. I started wearing a patch after I ripped one off going through a door and catching it on the door frame. Of course it was on a day that I forgot my meter. Some good suggestions on here that I will try as the plasters are pricey. The tattoo after care bandage is favourite at the moment.
Hence my comment above - find out if you need it and if you do, go for it. Otherwise, don't waste your money.
The OP has not made any comment that suggests he has a problem.
Hence, I think it is important to comment that many of us have what I called "Limpet Skin" and we don't need it. We are not suggesting covers are a waste for everyone.

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Are they any good & worth buying??
I do have an armband protector thingy!!!
Sorry can't think of the proper name for it..

Many thanks
Personally I don't use ,haven't needed to - I did try the below from Amazon when I caught a sensor and made it loose
Couldn't get them to stick completely over sensor - very tricky to 'get it right !'

Attachments

• 20230309_142326.jpg
    20230309_142326.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 160

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a cheapskate (also a bit clumsy therefore have pulled it off when taking off a t-shirt, ouch), so I just use micropore tape across the thing so there's no edge to catch, also it seems to be unaffected by water and doesn't get a skin reaction.
Like it ! Thanks

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good suggestions (never thought of looking at aftercare for tattoo)
Thank you all

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an old sensor to draw a Circle on a piece of flexible sports tape 8x4cm to cut it in an oval with a sensor shaped hole.
No need for the hole, you can simply cover the sensor. :)

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had libre 2 since October 2021 and have caught and dislodged a couple in that time, one was getting dressed and the other was when I reached behind the driver's seat in the car when I was wearing a t-shirt. One came unstuck when I was in a jacuzzi so now where a short length of tube bandage over it. It might be the chlorine in the water as I've been in the sea with no issues.
I've tried other covers but the bandage doesn't look too conspicuous whereas covers might to some.

arkle

I've lost a few over the last couple of years, I rang Abbott's 0800 number & was asked for the batch number, when this last happened. You can find this at the bottom of the list, in the settings section, just drop the menu down to find it, and it will tell you the last 3 sensor batches. A new sensor arrived a few days later.