1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Best monitoring kit?

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Janwel, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Janwel

Janwel · Newbie

Does anyone have experience of the testers which do not require finger prick? I want something reliable but have a phobia about B and a low pain threshold. Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

All testers need a finger prick, I'm sorry. Except FreeStyle Libre or another CGM. You have to shoot it in your arm but only once every 14 days. Expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To be honest, finger pricking should not be painful and really is the best way of finding out what food is doing to you.

However, if you find this impossible you could try being REALLY strict and don't touch carbs. No bread, rice,potatoes etc and see how you are doing at your next hba1c.

• Like Like x 1
  4. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Most of the time I don’t feel the prick from the lancet it’s not until I squeeze my finger that I know whether it got me or not

I use the accuchek fast clix lancet it does have a very fine needle

• Like Like x 1
  5. Janwel

Janwel · Newbie

Thanks for that. I’ll look it up.

6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I use a FastClix lancing device, and it is virtually painless when lancing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. oldgreymare

oldgreymare Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Back to basics? First thoroughly wash your hands with HOT water and soap and dry. Alcohol wipes do not necessarily remove any sugar residue on your hands. Years of finger pricking in the tropics - painless, easy blood flow, no scarring - back to temperate Britain - learnt the hard way that cold fingers don't work and hurt like hell.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NaijaChick

NaijaChick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to my world. Some people don’t understand low pain threshold, I do so there are a few options for you. Firstly don’t use hot water to wash your hands that just ruins your skin and gets your nerves on edge and your capillaries too open. You can either wipe the area with a warm tissue or wash it with warm to slightly cold water. You may need to find an alternative testing site, I don’t use my finger tips as the pain can last for days but I do use my palms (if you are under the care of a diabetic nurse, they can give you a alternative testing site lancet kit), you could try the genteel device (please google it), or you could contact One touch (My lancet of choice) for a Delica lancer (it uses one of the finest lancets needles on the market). Good luck with everything and it does get better.

9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Another Fastclix fan!
    ETA You can use the Fastclix independently of any monitor you use to do the tests themselves.

I had a "thing" perhaps rather than a phobia, about needles, and research suggested that the Fastclix was a suitable solution. You can dial a needle depth to suit, setting it to the smallest level you personally need to get that drop of blood without it hurting. and you never actually SEE a scary needle, so in spite of some initial shutting my eyes tight, clenching my teeth, "Thinking of England", and steeling myself to actually DO it efforts, I'm now quite comfortable with pricking my fingers. For me the idea of pricking was actually far worse than the action itsellf!

But as @Antje77 has already suggested, using a Libre sensor is a possible alternative and although it also requires an insertion of a needle, again you never have to SEE it, and it's only once a fortnight when you attach the sensor.

#9 Robbity, May 2, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook