1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"Best" things doctors have said to you

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by tigger, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

It would appear many hospital professionals already walk around with a dead thing inside them....................
    their brains :banghead: and these people are getting paid for all this **** that they spout :arghh::banghead: our lives are truly in their hands :facepalm: :nailbiting:

• Like Like x 12
  2. bumblebee95

bumblebee95 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I totally get that, it's like
    'Sometimes, with diabetes, your more susceptible to disease and illness'
    It's very reassuring,
    Once when I was in hospital vomiting, losing fluids, and cramping the hospital staff checked everything, did a blood count, X-ray, hba1c and then just said I have got nothing and maybe it's just my diabetes 'playing up' and that I am fine
    ... Well that's it then, if your diabetic you are supposed to treat excrutiating pain and sickness as a normality

• Like Like x 12
  3. mrspuddleduck

mrspuddleduck · Guest

@Robinredbreast, that is probably the best post I've seen on the forum since I joined! Still giggling :D
    :D:D:D

• Like Like x 8
  4. Robinredbreast

On Wednesday I had my diabetes clinic appointment. The doctor was a stand in from another hospital, because mine was off sick.
    Doc, Is there anything you would like to ask ?
    Me, Yes, Could you look in my files to find the date I was actually diagnosed ?
    Doc, why do you want to know ?
    Me, because I know it was August 1989, but cannot remember the actual date and because I am the one who has diabetes, I would like to know, but I am nosey too
    Doc, is looking through my file, he says, I can't find anything that says the date, but it does say you were diagnosed in 1989
    Me, I know that
    Doc, maybe it's in an older file
    Me, oh, right :banghead:
    Doc, would you like a blood test
    Me, what now
    Do you normally have one?
    Me, the last one I had was in November 2014
    Doc, Ah yes, your last count was 7,0, that's the best one I have seen today
    Me, well, as I'm here I will go and have one, will I get the results in a couple of weeks or when I have my next follow up appointment ?
    Doc, er, what do they normally do ?
    Me, well I would like to know, if it's gone up or down
    Doc, I will see what the secretary does( as I don't work here) and l will try to get them sent to you, hmmmmm :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 8
    #24 Robinredbreast, Jun 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Robinredbreast

LOl, many thanks, that has made my day, :) :D

• Like Like x 8
  6. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've done that before :)

• Like Like x 5
  7. sportybird1

sportybird1 Type 1 · Newbie

These are making me cry with laughter and sheer dismay!! I was diagnosed 19 years ago as a 20 year old. I was totally confused and terrified. My first meeting with my GP, a mere 48 hours after diagnosis, began with him saying...."well, I suspect you already know more about diabetes than me". At which I promptly left and haven't used a GP for my care ever since!

• Like Like x 14
  8. Jacquelineann

Jacquelineann Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Diabetic nurse: Now you are on insulin, you have moved from type 2 to type 1
    GP: No she's not, she's type 2
    Me: How do you know?
    GP: Because most women of your age are type 2

• Like Like x 9
  9. Sarahkylie7

Sarahkylie7 Type 1 · Active Member

I have had a few over the years, but my personal favourite is My rather large dietitian who was far larger than me and wanted me to lose weight....? If she was nice about it I wouldn't have minded, but the way she spoke to me was out of order!

• Like Like x 12
    #29 Sarahkylie7, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:23 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  10. mrspuddleduck

mrspuddleduck · Guest

Oh I had one like that ......
    "Yes your pancreas may be dead but you still may be a type 2" and that was a GP!!!!! Sue xxxx

• Like Like x 6
  11. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2009 - septicemia after bowel rupture, colostomy. 8 week ICU/HDU admission
    2012 - septicemia and acute respiratory failure. 9 week ICU/HDU admission

GP, " you might be indestructible lol"
    Made me laugh....

• Like Like x 6
  12. Imissmybetacells

Imissmybetacells Type 1 · Newbie

I'm Type 1 and have been for about 6 months. I got called into my docs to see the diabetic nurse as the doctor thought I was using too many testing strips. So I go in and sit down:

Nurse: "So how many times do you test a day"
    Me: "Depends on what i'm doing that day, what i'm eating, if I'm exercising, if I'm driving etc. But normally 6 - 7 times a day"
    Nurse: "Really! so you prick your finger that many times a day."
    Me: "Yes"
    Nurse: "Doesn't it hurt"
    Me: "No, you get used to it, it's just like tying your shoe laces before you go out really."
    Nurse: "Are all the tests you do actually necessary? I know a lot of diabetics who test and don't do anything with result"
    Me: "Yes it's necessary if I don't want to collapse or die earlier than I want to"
    Nurse "I'm just thinking of your fingers really as they must really hurt"
    Me: "I'm thinking about not going blind and having my feet amputated but thanks for your concern"

I ended up getting more test strips with each prescription. I honestly think he was an idiot.

• Like Like x 22
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jacquelineann

14. Jacquelineann

I can only be thankful that someone else is testing as often as I do! My nurse is so concerned about my minimum 5 times a day (which can be more like 7-8 because like you I don't want to go blind, die etc if I can help it) that she has said next time I call in for strips I must go having fasted so she can check my fasting blood sugar. That'll be really helpful......

• Like Like x 6
  15. Hollie89

Hollie89 · Newbie

Doctor: soo, how's the diabetes going?
    Me: you know, annoying but, I'm getting used to it
    Doctor: yeah, I don't think I could have a condition that resulted in me not being allowed to eat cake?
    Me: err... I can eat cake?... Wait, you can CHOOSE whether or not to get type 1 diabetes?? Tell me more!

• Like Like x 18
  16. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Apart. From check ups. I have no need to bother my doctor much.
    But.
    Around my 40th birthday, I woke up span out & hit the bed. The room rocked for a second like I was on a boat in a storm. Atl would tilt 45 degrees & as I compensated I fell down. My eyes were telling me the environment was tilting, but my hands when put out said different. Unfortunately, my legs were a bit slow in the loop... So I walked to work. At work I was performing a task later that morning. It happened again & I pitched forward into a fridge.. I realised sudden head movement set it off.. (I don't need to tell you my BS was fine. Though a little elevated.)
    I mentioned to my wife later that day. (A little older than me.) is this what being 40 is like? It's s//t!
    So after two days of these random symptoms & looking like I had joined "fight club", I went to the doc...

The first thing said was "your diabetic aren't you." After correcting the doc on my knowledge of my hypo symptoms & that I am fully aware. I got an imediate "second opinion." Ear infection. ;)

• Like Like x 12
  17. SandyDee

SandyDee Type 1 · Well-Known Member

These are brilliant. I haven't had anything daft from the diabetes people but GP does tend to blame everything on diabetes.
    Just last week had this from a woman locum -
    Me: I'm having trouble sleeping
    GP: You need to exercise to exhaust your body
    Me: I find it difficult to exercise more than I do because I have very weak ankles and I get low blood sugars
    GP: Well you need to exercise
    Me: Goodbye

18. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was 13 when diagnosed in 1981 and I was admitted to hospital and was in there for 2 weeks being stabilised.

I was due to be discharged awaiting a final meeting with a Dr and when he came with his "entourage" this brief but ridiculous interaction took place

(This is what I remember!)

Dr - So then Bernard, we were going to discharge you today but we are going to keep you in for a few more days as we are not happy with your sugar levels.

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Sorry !

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Who are you ?

Me - I'm Kevin

Dr - Your not Bernard Fitzpatrick !

Me - No I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Your notes say your Bernard Fitzpatrick

Me - I'm not Bernard Fitzpatrick I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Nurse can you confirm this

Nurse - Yes this is Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - I think I've got the wrong notes !

• Like Like x 22
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh, Kevin (or is that Bernard?), your post made me laugh out loud!

• Like Like x 2
  20. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah it still makes me laugh but it's quite scary when you think about it ! :)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook