"Best" things doctors have said to you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Diabetic nurse - so your pancreas is dead.
Me - yes
DN - so it doesn't work at all
Me - no the organ is nercrotic and calcified
DN - so that's why you're Diabetic
Me - I would think so
DN - oh why don't they take it out
Me - cos the op is too risky for me and its not causing a problem cos its dead
DN - so you've got pancreatitis
Me -no
DN - but you must have pancreatitis
Me - Err I was lead to believe that dead things couldn't get inflamed
DN - oh Don't think I could walk around with a dead thing inside of me

Anyone remember the Monty Python Dead Parrot Sketch, :banghead::banghead::banghead: :D
Sue x

It would appear many hospital professionals already walk around with a dead thing inside them....................
their brains :banghead: and these people are getting paid for all this **** that they spout :arghh::banghead: our lives are truly in their hands :facepalm: :nailbiting:

Reactions: 12 people

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Nothing like any of these but does anyone else hate how some doctors like to use diabetes as an explanation for any and every symptom?

I had a sore foot which I know for a fact was from a long run I did in poor fitting trainers. Had some pain along my foot that wasn't going away. As soon as she had read my notes the GP straight away said it was "due to your diabetes" and lectured me about how "having diabetes means you are going to get pains like this, it is normal, your nerves in your feet will be all messed up". It was a straightforward running injury, no question, and all I wanted was to get my private referral form signed for some phyiso. She signed it but I could have done without the false diagnosis about how type 1 will lead to aches and pains that I just need to live with.
Yes, I totally get that, it's like
'Sometimes, with diabetes, your more susceptible to disease and illness'
It's very reassuring,
Once when I was in hospital vomiting, losing fluids, and cramping the hospital staff checked everything, did a blood count, X-ray, hba1c and then just said I have got nothing and maybe it's just my diabetes 'playing up' and that I am fine
... Well that's it then, if your diabetic you are supposed to treat excrutiating pain and sickness as a normality

M

mrspuddleduck

It would appear many hospital professionals already walk around with a dead thing inside them....................
their brains :banghead: and these people are getting paid for all this **** that they spout :arghh::banghead: our lives are truly in their hands :facepalm: :nailbiting:

@Robinredbreast, that is probably the best post I've seen on the forum since I joined! Still giggling :D
:D:D:D

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
On Wednesday I had my diabetes clinic appointment. The doctor was a stand in from another hospital, because mine was off sick.
Doc, Is there anything you would like to ask ?
Me, Yes, Could you look in my files to find the date I was actually diagnosed ?
Doc, why do you want to know ?
Me, because I know it was August 1989, but cannot remember the actual date and because I am the one who has diabetes, I would like to know, but I am nosey too
Doc, is looking through my file, he says, I can't find anything that says the date, but it does say you were diagnosed in 1989
Me, I know that
Doc, maybe it's in an older file
Me, oh, right :banghead:
Doc, would you like a blood test
Me, what now
Do you normally have one?
Me, the last one I had was in November 2014
Doc, Ah yes, your last count was 7,0, that's the best one I have seen today
Me, well, as I'm here I will go and have one, will I get the results in a couple of weeks or when I have my next follow up appointment ?
Doc, er, what do they normally do ?
Me, well I would like to know, if it's gone up or down
Doc, I will see what the secretary does( as I don't work here) and l will try to get them sent to you, hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

sportybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
These are making me cry with laughter and sheer dismay!! I was diagnosed 19 years ago as a 20 year old. I was totally confused and terrified. My first meeting with my GP, a mere 48 hours after diagnosis, began with him saying...."well, I suspect you already know more about diabetes than me". At which I promptly left and haven't used a GP for my care ever since!

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetic nurse: Now you are on insulin, you have moved from type 2 to type 1
GP: No she's not, she's type 2
Me: How do you know?
GP: Because most women of your age are type 2

Reactions: 9 people

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a few over the years, but my personal favourite is My rather large dietitian who was far larger than me and wanted me to lose weight....? If she was nice about it I wouldn't have minded, but the way she spoke to me was out of order!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mrspuddleduck

Diabetic nurse: Now you are on insulin, you have moved from type 2 to type 1
GP: No she's not, she's type 2
Me: How do you know?
GP: Because most women of your age are type 2

Oh I had one like that ......
"Yes your pancreas may be dead but you still may be a type 2" and that was a GP!!!!! Sue xxxx

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
2009 - septicemia after bowel rupture, colostomy. 8 week ICU/HDU admission
2012 - septicemia and acute respiratory failure. 9 week ICU/HDU admission

GP, " you might be indestructible lol"
Made me laugh....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Type 1 and have been for about 6 months. I got called into my docs to see the diabetic nurse as the doctor thought I was using too many testing strips. So I go in and sit down:

Nurse: "So how many times do you test a day"
Me: "Depends on what i'm doing that day, what i'm eating, if I'm exercising, if I'm driving etc. But normally 6 - 7 times a day"
Nurse: "Really! so you prick your finger that many times a day."
Me: "Yes"
Nurse: "Doesn't it hurt"
Me: "No, you get used to it, it's just like tying your shoe laces before you go out really."
Nurse: "Are all the tests you do actually necessary? I know a lot of diabetics who test and don't do anything with result"
Me: "Yes it's necessary if I don't want to collapse or die earlier than I want to"
Nurse "I'm just thinking of your fingers really as they must really hurt"
Me: "I'm thinking about not going blind and having my feet amputated but thanks for your concern"

I ended up getting more test strips with each prescription. I honestly think he was an idiot.

Reactions: 22 people

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Type 1 and have been for about 6 months. I got called into my docs to see the diabetic nurse as the doctor thought I was using too many testing strips. So I go in and sit down:

Nurse: "So how many times do you test a day"
Me: "Depends on what i'm doing that day, what i'm eating, if I'm exercising, if I'm driving etc. But normally 6 - 7 times a day"
Nurse: "Really! so you prick your finger that many times a day."
Me: "Yes"
Nurse: "Doesn't it hurt"
Me: "No, you get used to it, it's just like tying your shoe laces before you go out really."
Nurse: "Are all the tests you do actually necessary? I know a lot of diabetics who test and don't do anything with result"
Me: "Yes it's necessary if I don't want to collapse or die earlier than I want to"
Nurse "I'm just thinking of your fingers really as they must really hurt"
Me: "I'm thinking about not going blind and having my feet amputated but thanks for your concern"

I ended up getting more test strips with each prescription. I honestly think he was an idiot.

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only be thankful that someone else is testing as often as I do! My nurse is so concerned about my minimum 5 times a day (which can be more like 7-8 because like you I don't want to go blind, die etc if I can help it) that she has said next time I call in for strips I must go having fasted so she can check my fasting blood sugar. That'll be really helpful......

Hollie89

Doctor: soo, how's the diabetes going?
Me: you know, annoying but, I'm getting used to it
Doctor: yeah, I don't think I could have a condition that resulted in me not being allowed to eat cake?
Me: err... I can eat cake?... Wait, you can CHOOSE whether or not to get type 1 diabetes?? Tell me more!

Reactions: 18 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
does anyone else hate how some doctors like to use diabetes as an explanation for any and every symptom?

Apart. From check ups. I have no need to bother my doctor much.
But.
Around my 40th birthday, I woke up span out & hit the bed. The room rocked for a second like I was on a boat in a storm. Atl would tilt 45 degrees & as I compensated I fell down. My eyes were telling me the environment was tilting, but my hands when put out said different. Unfortunately, my legs were a bit slow in the loop... So I walked to work. At work I was performing a task later that morning. It happened again & I pitched forward into a fridge.. I realised sudden head movement set it off.. (I don't need to tell you my BS was fine. Though a little elevated.)
I mentioned to my wife later that day. (A little older than me.) is this what being 40 is like? It's s//t!
So after two days of these random symptoms & looking like I had joined "fight club", I went to the doc...

The first thing said was "your diabetic aren't you." After correcting the doc on my knowledge of my hypo symptoms & that I am fully aware. I got an imediate "second opinion." Ear infection. ;)

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
These are brilliant. I haven't had anything daft from the diabetes people but GP does tend to blame everything on diabetes.
Just last week had this from a woman locum -
Me: I'm having trouble sleeping
GP: You need to exercise to exhaust your body
Me: I find it difficult to exercise more than I do because I have very weak ankles and I get low blood sugars
GP: Well you need to exercise
Me: Goodbye

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I was 13 when diagnosed in 1981 and I was admitted to hospital and was in there for 2 weeks being stabilised.

I was due to be discharged awaiting a final meeting with a Dr and when he came with his "entourage" this brief but ridiculous interaction took place

(This is what I remember!)

Dr - So then Bernard, we were going to discharge you today but we are going to keep you in for a few more days as we are not happy with your sugar levels.

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Sorry !

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Who are you ?

Me - I'm Kevin

Dr - Your not Bernard Fitzpatrick !

Me - No I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Your notes say your Bernard Fitzpatrick

Me - I'm not Bernard Fitzpatrick I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Nurse can you confirm this

Nurse - Yes this is Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - I think I've got the wrong notes !

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I was 13 when diagnosed in 1981 and I was admitted to hospital and was in there for 2 weeks being stabilised.

I was due to be discharged awaiting a final meeting with a Dr and when he came with his "entourage" this brief but ridiculous interaction took place

(This is what I remember!)

Dr - So then Bernard, we were going to discharge you today but we are going to keep you in for a few more days as we are not happy with your sugar levels.

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Sorry !

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Who are you ?

Me - I'm Kevin

Dr - Your not Bernard Fitzpatrick !

Me - No I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Your notes say your Bernard Fitzpatrick

Me - I'm not Bernard Fitzpatrick I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Nurse can you confirm this

Nurse - Yes this is Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - I think I've got the wrong notes !

Yeah it still makes me laugh but it's quite scary when you think about it ! :)

Reactions: 2 people