Best time to take

Daryl72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’ve just started on Metaformin this week, I have to work up to 3 tablets a day over three weeks and I know to take them with food,
Do I take them Before - During - after a meal?

Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Metformin doesn’t make much difference to your blood glucose after a meal.
Its effect is an ongoing general reduction of blood glucose 24 hrs a day, across the weeks. So don’t expect it to reduce the readings after some carb intake. The reduction isn’t huge. Making dietary changes and reducing carb intake will have a bigger effect, but Metformin has a couple of benefits that are useful to those type 2s who tolerate it. It reduces insulin resistance somewhat, and it reduces the amount of glucose released by the liver.

my understanding for the ‘with food’ instruction is because some people experience digestive upset from Metformin, especially if taken on an empty stomach. So as long as you take it at a time when it won’t sit in your stomach/digestive tract for long by itself, you should be fine.

if you want to learn more about Metformin, this link should start you off :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metformin

Reactions: Daryl72

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take it right after or sometimes during a meal - otherwise it can make me feel queasy.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 4 X 500mg SR. If I remembet I have 2 in morning, 2 in evening. If I forget I have 4 in evening. It doesn't matter when I take them, with or without food.

However, I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have any side effects so hopefully you'll be the same, fingers crossed for you!

I will say, normal Metformin did impact my stomach

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that taking it in the middle of a meal (sort of burying it in food) is much better for my digestion
Carol