Beta blockers and high blood sugar

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

Been reading on some medical websites That sometimes beta blockers increase high blood sugar levels.

I'm taking 2.5 ml per morning and my heart rate has come down from around 90 bpm to late 70's.

My blood sugar levels have been a bit high, so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. Is anyone else on brisolpolol?

Thanks

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Good morning!
You’re quite right, ß-blockers do have a reputation of causing a rise in blood sugar, in non-diabetics and diabetics a like. It is an individual thing.
From your reading, you'll have noted there are quite a number of different ß-blockers, put into different groups according to their individual attributes. I know not personally of one being better or worse for having effect on blood sugar, and have believed the effect to be only modest, and usually accommodatable without change in treatment. It is the cold extremities that seem to most frequently cause people to seek a change in treatment.
I am very fortunate, bisoprolol 10mg causes me no side effects bar a lowering of blood pressure, for which it’s prescribed.
It’s a good practice to discuss these things with your GP.

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, im on 2.5 per day, so not sure wheathw it's contributing to the high blood sugar. I'll have a look at the article

D

Deleted member 308541

My blood sugar levels have been a bit high, so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. Is anyone else on brisolpolol?
I take two 5 mg Bisoprolol tablets a day for AFib, my bgl is pretty good.

Reactions: jomar_uk

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also has anyone put on weight with this medication? What dosages are you on?

Im also a little fatiqued on this medication but its the only side effect

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also taking 5mg of Bisprolol a day and it dosn't seem to affect my blood sugar levels. It does keep my heartrate around 70 bpm although it does cause very cold hands and feet sometimes in the winter. weight is staying steady and is a good BMI.

I guess its a necessity in my case.