Beta blockers?

VMK

I’m a recently diagnosed type 2 . I have a history of migraine and have taken beta blockers (propanolol) for a couple of years. Does anyone know if beta blockers are a problem for diabetics? My GP didn’t seem too concerned......

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What medication - if any - are you taking for your T2 - I was prescribed metformin for a while and there are no compatibility issues with this and propranolol.

I've been taking propranolol as a preventative for chronic migraines for many years and was diagnosed with T2 just under five and a half years ago. I've not had any issues with it since I've been T2 and neither does my GP have any concerns over prescribing it.

However insulin dependent (usually T1) diabetics may have issues with propranolol if they experience very lcw glucose levels or hypos as @bobcurly has mentioned - see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6376017

I've been eating a low carb/ketogenic diet for most of my T2 "life" and as well as reducing and controlling my glucose levels this style of eating has also more or less stopped my migraines completely. Other members on the forum have had similar experiences with low carbing, so it may be worth you considering this to see if it helps you with your migraines too.

Robbity

Reactions: VMK and Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Only that they can mask the signs if a hypo
I was Type 1 for 54 years until transplant, but about 20 years before, I was asked by a GP why I had been put on Beta blockers.
I said that it was to keep blood pressure down because of poor kidney function. "Yes, I know that, but don't they know that they can mask hypo awareness? Do you mind if I write to them?" Obviously they work perfectly well for @Robbity and many others.
I would suggest that @VMK keeps a careful check on readings and her hypo awareness in relation to the readings. Good luck with your control.

Reactions: VMK

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@VMK - Thankfully, aside from a very rare visual migraine, I don't suffer and the visual ones don't hurt, but I know our friend @Goonergal has stated in the past one of the huge impacts she has seen, since diagnosis and getting her T2 under control is the vastly positive change in her migraine experiences.

Hopefully she might see this tag and pass comment.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DCUKMod and Hi @VMK

I can’t comment on beta blockers as they were the one category of migraine preventative drugs I was never prescribed.

However as mentioned my chronic migraines (was treating 6-8 a month on diagnosis) have vanished. It is 21 months since the last one. I credit the Ketogenic diet for that (migraine consultant agreed that there is evidence of its efficacy in migraine relief) so I would recommend giving that a go. For me the migraine relief is bigger than the diabetes control - the former was all consuming, disabling and isolating.

Wish you well with this.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat and VMK

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: ziggy_w and VMK

VMK

What medication - if any - are you taking for your T2 - I was prescribed metformin for a while and there are no compatibility issues with this and propranolol.

I've been taking propranolol as a preventative for chronic migraines for many years and was diagnosed with T2 just under five and a half years ago. I've not had any issues with it since I've been T2 and neither does my GP have any concerns over prescribing it.

However insulin dependent (usually T1) diabetics may have issues with propranolol if they experience very lcw glucose levels or hypos as @bobcurly has mentioned - see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6376017

I've been eating a low carb/ketogenic diet for most of my T2 "life" and as well as reducing and controlling my glucose levels this style of eating has also more or less stopped my migraines completely. Other members on the forum have had similar experiences with low carbing, so it may be worth you considering this to see if it helps you with your migraines too.

Robbity

Thank you. I’m initially going with a low carb and exercise plan to see if this has any effect. And, like you say I’m hoping my migraines will diminish too!

VMK

Some beta blockers can raise blood glucose levels by increasing insulin resistance, but not all. They can diminish hypo awareness when glucose levels are dropping too low, but this is not generally a problem for most T2s depending on the diabetes medication used..

See this article. Scroll down to the section on beta blockers

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....ement/drugs-that-can-worsen-diabetes-control/

and this one

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20120516081816351223

Than you. It’s great how helpful people are on this forum

VMK

I can’t comment on beta blockers as they were the one category of migraine preventative drugs I was never prescribed.

However as mentioned my chronic migraines (was treating 6-8 a month on diagnosis) have vanished. It is 21 months since the last one. I credit the Ketogenic diet for that (migraine consultant agreed that there is evidence of its efficacy in migraine relief) so I would recommend giving that a go. For me the migraine relief is bigger than the diabetes control - the former was all consuming, disabling and isolating.

Wish you well with this.

I find this really encouraging and am going to give it a go. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 308541

Does anyone know if beta blockers are a problem for diabetics? My GP didn’t seem too concerned......
My cardiologist prescribed mine, Bisoprolol and Flecainide along side of Digoxin.

He knew I was T2 as well.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However as mentioned my chronic migraines (was treating 6-8 a month on diagnosis) have vanished. It is 21 months since the last one. I credit the Ketogenic diet for that
Wish you well with this.
FANTASTIC!! I didnt know that, now I can spread that news if ever asked.

VMK

Robbity

Just wanted to post an update to say I have been low-carbing now for a few weeks while at the same time weaning myself off the beta blockers. I haven’t yet had a killer migraine, just a few ‘fuzzy heads’. I had an HbA1c test on Friday so hoping that my new diet will have had a positive effect. Will post when I know the result.

Thanks everyone here, this forum has helped enormously.

Reactions: Bluetit1802