1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"Beyond Insulin".

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Guzzler, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

A fascinating presentation by Catherine Croft pertaining to Glucagon secretion in relation to Insulin. Covers such things as the insulin to glucagon ratio, protein, excercise and ffa's etcamong other things. Catherine speaks on T2 but also mentions T1.

@Jim Lahey I thought you might be interested in this esp wrt to hypoglucagonaemia. About 23 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thanks for the tag. Only recently did I start to become more aware of the relationship between insulin and glucagon. The complexity of everything never ceases to fascinate me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I will check this out when I'm awake enough to watch it, sounds very interesting. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It could explain why some with T1 and T2 react differently to excercise, stress, protein etc. and it could explain why the timing of injections of insulin can sometimes be such a tricky thing for some on exogenous insulin. Interesting stuff, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Glucagon is definitely one thing that crosses over the different types. Enjoy the presentation.

6. Jim Lahey

I think also I mentioned recently about glucagon dysfunction as a possible contributory factor in hypoglycaemic episodes in individuals not using exogenous insulin or oral hypoglycaemics.

7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

This would make sense for those few who feel low when others would be completely unaware at the same level. Definitely merits more research.

8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this @Guzzler, just watched it. It's the sort of thing where you need to watch it ten times and take notes to fully understand (for me anyway) but it is fascinating as you said. For me (as a type 1), it seems to be saying that if I were to eat no carbs (or extremely low) but were to eat something high in protein, my glucagon et al, glucose levels would be stimulated into rising (which I've noticed they do) and I'd then have to take insulin to combat this? The only way to counteract this and prevent the body going through this glucogen process in the first place would be to eat carbs?. This seems like a vicious circle then, eat an amount of carbs to stop the glucagon rising in the first place or eat protein and then have to eat carbs when the glucose rises or stop eating carbs and protein? A low(er) carb diet generally means using less insulin but the downside is you may end up with glucose levels rising anyway if you eat protein! My head hurts. Hope someone comes along to explain it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I have no answer to that one and I'm not even embarrassed to say that! As Catherine says, Glucagon then may be influenced by GLP1, GIP, Leptin etc etc etc.. It is so tantalisingly and exquisitely complex.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jim Lahey

Glucagon signals the liver to secrete glucose in order to maintain glucose homeostasis in the absence of food energy, but exogenous carbohydrate is not necessary for this. The liver can manufacture glucose from amino acids and fatty acids. It’s obviously very much more complicated than that, but that’s the nuts & bolts as I understand it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

The glucagon/insulin relationship has always been something that I have speculated may affect some of us with RH - certainly in myself. Unfortunately there are many other causes too. And I would go further and postulate that my personal food intolerances have an impact, as well as other hormones such as leptin, etc.

Will watch this with interest @Guzzler, but not, unfortunately, today. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Leptin is in the list that Catherine speaks to wrt to hormones that may be influenced by or indeed influence glucagon among others like oestrogen and cortisol. Hope you find it as interesting as I did.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tophat1900

So... how to find that magical balance? Great post @Guzzler all very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jim Lahey

Eat real food your whole life :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Tophat1900

Thanks Jim, I may just consider that :D

16. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amy Berger's latest blog is a timely addition to this complexity :)
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2019/03/insulin-glucagon-pancreas.html#more

She is also trying to make some sense of this insulin/glucagon ratio
    upload_2019-3-21_17-6-25.png

Also
    Separately, what I had found interesting from the FGF1 injection to the brain is that they have recently concluded that the sustained glucose clearance that resulted is likely insulin independent ...
    upload_2019-3-21_17-4-1.png

So it is not always about GLUT4 (Insulin dependent)...GLUT1(insulin independent) is coming into focus...
    upload_2019-3-21_17-7-47.png

• Like Like x 1
    #16 kokhongw, Mar 21, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  17. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is a section in Amy's blogpost that might be relevant, injected insulin will not reach the same level of concentration in the pancreas where it is needed to stop the glucagon actions...

upload_2019-3-21_17-27-14.png

upload_2019-3-21_17-29-40.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you for this!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Came across this presentation via YouTube feed and watched it thrice just to get my head around the new hormone I hadn't heard of (the one that is made by the delta cells that calms both insulin and glucagon down).
    Anyway my question is why do my diabetologists never mention any of this stuff when I tell them that despite trying to minnimise insulin by eating low carb, I get weird spikes probably due to my very uninhibited alpha cells! I truly have learnt more from this lady and Ben Bikman (sic) and may even consider the pharmacological solutions she suggests.
    Also I think the process diagram she was hoping somebody would make about how all of these hormones interact would be a great project for Ivor Cummins (Fat Emporer)!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I reckon a diagramn for this would make the picture of the Krebs Cycle look simple.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook