BG after eating

Tj-73

3 weeks on Insulin... so all kinda new to me. Testing to see what spikes me but also wondering what the level is classed as too high after an hour and then again two hours after eating. If something has me at 15 after an hour do I need more insulin ... sometimes my numbers take a long time to come back down. Wish there was an idiots guide!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I wouldn't like those levels myself.... but it would help to know what type you are? And what medications you taking. You mentioned insulin, but not what they are?

Starting on insulin, it takes time to figure out doses for meals and how you respond to it. And how levels trend. You get the hang of it over time, but it's not easy for anyone just starting out, so cut yourself some slack for a while. It's a process.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
3 weeks on Insulin... so all kinda new to me. Testing to see what spikes me but also wondering what the level is classed as too high after an hour and then again two hours after eating. If something has me at 15 after an hour do I need more insulin ... sometimes my numbers take a long time to come back down. Wish there was an idiots guide!

As in the previous message from @Tophat1900 it would be helpful for us to understand what type of diabetes you have and what your insulin regime is.

As for the idiots guide or 'diabetes for dummies' there are actually books of that title available but I haven't read any and cannot vouch for them (Check Google and Amazon). We also have a lot of information pages on the front end of this website. It is of course subjective, but I have always found them to be a great place to start without the information overload that often comes with this condition. Below, is the page for 'idealised' blood glucose levels as recommended by NICE. (Don't get stressed if you're not acheiving these numbers now.)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Tj-73

Thank you.

Well I was/am a type 2 ... but ended up in hospital with DKA even though my levels were 6.5?/ possible allergy to medication but I’d taken it for a few years with no issues. So many questions!! The endo consultant spoke to me on the ward for 5 minutes.... I was in for 4 days. Said he’s going to see me in clinic because I didn’t fit the criteria for type 2 and could be a misdiagnosis.??? Told me if I’d been 10 years older I’d be dead and I’m an insulin user for life now. Then he walked away and I’m still waiting on this appointment.

I’m on lantus (16 units)and novorapid x 3 a day (various amounts 4-10whilst trying to figure what I can and cannot eat)

Bread and potatoes send me way up ... rice doesn’t Do I keep adding more insulin if I want 1 wholemeal pitta bread (30g carbs) which can take 5 hours to come down again or just avoid it ... which feels ideal but but..... I love bread !

I have a telephone consultation with the community diabetic nurse mid February... and apparently I can call whenever but they’re never there and probably dealing with emergencies... not wanting me to ask ‘can I eat bread’

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you.

Well I was/am a type 2 ... but ended up in hospital with DKA even though my levels were 6.5?/ possible allergy to medication but I’d taken it for a few years with no issues. So many questions!! The endo consultant spoke to me on the ward for 5 minutes.... I was in for 4 days. Said he’s going to see me in clinic because I didn’t fit the criteria for type 2 and could be a misdiagnosis.??? Told me if I’d been 10 years older I’d be dead and I’m an insulin user for life now. Then he walked away and I’m still waiting on this appointment.

I’m on lantus (16 units)and novorapid x 3 a day (various amounts 4-10whilst trying to figure what I can and cannot eat)

Bread and potatoes send me way up ... rice doesn’t Do I keep adding more insulin if I want 1 wholemeal pitta bread (30g carbs) which can take 5 hours to come down again or just avoid it ... which feels ideal but but..... I love bread !

I have a telephone consultation with the community diabetic nurse mid February... and apparently I can call whenever but they’re never there and probably dealing with emergencies... not wanting me to ask ‘can I eat bread’

The text book of diabetes/insulin management would suggest that you can eat whatever you want and inject insulin to cover it. This works for many people but sadly not for me. I have acheived much better control by reducing my carb intake to around 150g per day and some days much lower.

If you're a T2, you will probably benefit from a reduced carb intake anyway. Most of us seem to discover that our glucose levels don't react well to certain foodstuffs. I have to watch potato and breakfast cereals for short term rises in glucose levels and pasta and rice for longer (4 hrs or more) term rises.

Over time, you will build up a picture of what you can eat and what you might want to reduce or stop eating. Whilst it seems normal to start with a insulin/carb ratio of 1:10 you will have to figure out your own best ratio. This may not be constant throughout the day. I am currently using a higher ratio for breakfast and lunch than for the evening meal.

Also be ready for the fact that with summer approaching, many insulin users find that they need less insulin in the summer months when the weather is warmer.

Good luck with the endo appointment and keep asking questions.

Last edited: