Type 2 BG doubled!

paula121s

Hi, is this normal?? I have started on a lchf diet 3 weeks ago, i have been aiming for under 50g carbs a day but averaging 20-30. My bg has been gradually improving. Today prior to evening meal my bg was 4.5, that is a first never been under 5. When I checked a couple of hours later it was 8.5. I had 5.7g carbs and 558 calories. Any ideas as to why it's doubled??

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
did you retest your unexpected number, all manner of things can affect a reading

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Well done for that 4.5!
Did you experience any wobbliness at having blood glucose lower than usual? Sometimes that can trigger a 'liver dump' of stored glucose, which is when your body triggers the glucose release from the liver to try and bring the blood glucose up to more familiar levels.

It also could have been something else.
Stress, tiredness, pain, worry... Even the heat, or dehydration - they can all affect blood glucose levels.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see a pattern developing, where the same thing (that food, or that situation) happens repeatedly. Also, sometimes some of us find that certain foods send our blood glucose weirdly high. Gluten containing foods do it for me, and I will let @Chook tell you about her mushroom situation (hope you don't mind, Chook?)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Freema

paula121s

Hi,

Well done for that 4.5!
Did you experience any wobbliness at having blood glucose lower than usual? Sometimes that can trigger a 'liver dump' of stored glucose, which is when your body triggers the glucose release from the liver to try and bring the blood glucose up to more familiar levels.

Stress, tiredness, pain, worry... Even the heat, or dehydration - they can all affect blood glucose levels.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see a pattern developing, where the same thing (that food, or that situation) happens repeatedly. Also, sometimes some of us find that certain foods send our blood glucose weirdly high. Gluten containing foods do it for me, and I will let @Chook tell you about her mushroom situation (hope you don't mind, Chook?)

Hope that helps!
Thank you for your reply, I have been in a lot of pain today. I didn't realise that could affect my bg.

Reactions: Freema

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Well done for that 4.5!

Hope that helps!
Oh Brunneria, you might have helped me a lot. I had my lowest ever reading last week - a 4.3 just before dimner, but that night, after a compliant meal, my BS jumped to 10.1. I couldn't understand how that could be, and I did wonder if the really low low had something to do with it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Brunneria you called????? (Sorry for the delay.)

As Brunneria says, I've got a problem with mushrooms- they are low carb and I love them but for some unknown reason they cause my BG to go up. It happens with all different kinds of mushrooms and even small amounts so I'm beginning to think it's an intolerance. I still eat them though. I just know to expect the next meter finger prick test to give a higher result.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be a combination of things. It could be the 4.5 was a rogue reading or the post meal one, or both. I always double check unexpected readings - including low ones. As you say you had been in a lot of pain, that could also be a reason. You will never know now, but do try the same meal again and see what happens.

Reactions: paula121s

paula121s

It could be a combination of things. It could be the 4.5 was a rogue reading or the post meal one, or both. I always double check unexpected readings - including low ones. As you say you had been in a lot of pain, that could also be a reason. You will never know now, but do try the same meal again and see what happens.

I just hope it's not my new potato replacement, celeriac!! I think I could even cry

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I get much lower BG readings with celeriac if I part cook it before baking or roasting it. This was @maglil55 's idea for making nicer celeriac chips and it works just as well for roasties - with the added bonus of having a lower BG. With chips you steam or simmer then for 4 minutes - about 5-7 mins for roasted.

Raghu_Nandan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As i posted on forum other day (fasting BG spiking) , i am also on low carb last evening my BG was 4.6 (after an hr workout) , i had a salmon,cream and some pea-nuts in dinner , tested 2 hrs pp was 4.9 and today morning fasting BG was 6.9 don't know what's going wrong :-((