BG Monitoring on Satnav

Doug88

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody has a recommendation for a satnav that can display blood glucose as an additional datafield so that it can be seen at a glance whilst driving.

I have a dexcom g6 with nightscout set up through xdrip so I thinking that perhaps a garmin cycle computer would be a workable option.

Does anybody have any experience or recommendations they could share?

Cheers
Doug

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Well? I can do this on my Galaxy Note 9 using a split screen function for certain apps, giving the best of both worlds?

20220308_105113.jpg

Doug88

Hi Jaylee, that looks good and yeah I currently just use my phone or have my BG on my watch but I'm also wanting to see whether there are any dedicated satnavs out there that can also show BG readings.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee, that looks good and yeah I currently just use my phone or have my BG on my watch but I'm also wanting to see whether there are any dedicated satnavs out there that can also show BG readings.

My thoughts are the sat nav would not only need a BT capability? But also a firmware tweak "jailbreak" by those clever boffins that do Xdrip? (Or in my case above, Diabox.)

Yep i have a watch too. I do have a garmin sat nav in my van. I used to have my old phone & garmin racked up on my dash at one point with the BG's updated on the phones lock screen whilst charging..

I found it all a hassle swapping it in & out of work's vehicles & just keep it all to one device.
But i must admit to not knowing of any dedicated sat nav with the capability of handling BG readings from a sensor.
Most developers work with phones.

I'll tag in @searley , he may know...?

Doug88

My thoughts are the sat nav would not only need a BT capability? But also a firmware tweak "jailbreak" by those clever boffins that do Xdrip? (Or in my case above, Diabox.)

Yep i have a watch too. I do have a garmin sat nav in my van. I used to have my old phone & garmin racked up on my dash at one point with the BG's updated on the phones lock screen whilst charging..

I found it all a hassle swapping it in & out of work's vehicles & just keep it all to one device.
But i must admit to not knowing of any dedicated sat nav with the capability of handling BG readings from a sensor.
Most developers work with phones.

I'll tag in @searley , he may know...?

Cheers for that. I was thinking that i might go for a garmin bike computer like an edge 520 plus. It has maps but you can also add extra datafields onto the screen (normally something like cadence or heart rate or something that cyclists like to know)....but in this case the xdrip datafield.

Might work....

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just renewed my driving license and notice the accompanying literature states
If you are using a glucose monitoring system (RT-CGM or FGM), you must not actively use this whilst driving your vehicle. You must pull over in a safe location before checking your device.

Given, this, I am not sure whether it is permissible to display your level on your satnav.

Doug88

If you are using a glucose monitoring system (RT-CGM or FGM), you must not actively use this whilst driving your vehicle. You must pull over in a safe location before checking your device.

Given, this, I am not sure whether it is permissible to display your level on your satnav.

Oh really, good spot. Well in that case, there probably isn't one out there. Saves me the search cheers

Reactions: In Response

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

At a sensible guess..
It probably comes under the same heading of "due care & attention." Which pretty much has always covered not juggling or being distracted by any form of handheld communication device whilst at the wheel of motor vehicle..

This pretty much sums it up.. "You must pull over in a safe location before checking your device. " ;)

Reactions: In Response

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My Garmin Edge Explore will support Bluetooth devices such as heart rate monitors and cadence sensors.
However the devices have to speak an industry standard protocol to be connected to the Satnav.
So your glucose monitor would also have to support this protocol.
You should contact the developers of your glucose monitor to see if they have any plans to support it.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It's something I've tried with my satnavs and failed.. would be really handy being an hgv driver... I've settled for smart watch

However the new garmin are running on android and you can side load.(doent have google play services).. so I guess if you could find an app that allows a floating widget... or maybe tasker to create a text overlay then you could make it work.... but I suspect it would be too much hassle.. especially when a smart watch is so easy